Style (Part 2)

Remember I said "style" has two parts? 

Style, in terms of "grit," is more about how your words and sentences make a reader "feel," instead of how it looks. 

Word choice, as we've covered previously, changes the connotation of an idea or action. "Sad" doesn't have the same impact as the word "anguished." Sentence structure has a similar job by changing the "pace" of a story, but it also works with word choice to change the "feel" of a story. 

Example: Take this fight scene:

He jumped back, thinking if he died here, his cat would never get her new collar. The monster went for his jugular with a gurgling laugh, but he skirted back a second time. 

*The word choice here is strong: "jugular," "gurgling," "skirted."  As it reads now, the scene isn't bad. It does convey a sense of excitement and fear. But all the information is jammed together, without a care for the high intensity. By changing the sentence structures and breaking up the actions, we can play visually and emotionally with our characters. 

Example:

He jumped back. 

The monster gurgled a laugh and went for his jugular.

He skirted back a second time. 

He couldn't die here. Ms. Newsbite would never get her new collar. 

*Both examples work. We've talked about how "showing" the movement and action by physically separating the sentences gives an opposing layer to surrounding paragraphs, but do you "feel" a difference? The shortness of the character's jump as your gaze jumps to the next sentence. Personal preference prevails, of course. But looking at your writing, and familiarizing yourself with each tool at your disposal, is never wasted time.

"You admit this is getting nit-picky, JM?"

I do, but I have a reason. Revising and editing your own work is still the number one hardest part of writing a novel (for me). Becoming a perfectionist who never publishes anything because it never feels finished--hello, my twenty year old self--is one thing. But a writer who can systematically work through their novel using the techniques and element know-how mapped out in this guide, will have a hell of an easier time editing their work. 

Show of cursors: Ever edit your novel and notice something doesn't sound or feel right, but you can't figure out what's wrong? I'll give you a hint: It's one of three things. 

Yes, there is a lot that goes into the three elements, but identifying there is a problem, and then being able to narrow down the problem into a manageable element, is better than sitting and scratching your head until your scalp bleeds.

Do you see now how each element, and their counterparts, fit and layer one on top of the other to make a complex and beautifully crafted story? Sure you can bake a cake without sugar, or write a story without plot, but it won't taste right. And yes, there are gluten free or dairy free alternatives, but I find the lack of gut-destroying products don't leave me as satisfied.

The good news, there are dozens of ways to bake a cake. Hell, forget the cake, make brownies. No one said it had to have three tiers and frosting. The point is to work with the ingredients you have and understand how each cup of sugar and chunk of butter impacts the end result.