Gridlock Pt1:

"Just one trip. That's what we said. One trip in the Tardis, and then home. Although I suppose we could stretch the definition. Take one trip into the past, one trip into the future. How do you fancy that?" The Doctor asked Martha who was sitting next to Galaxy in the captain's chair.

"No complaints from here." Martha said. "How about a different planet this time?" Galaxy suggested. "Can we go to yours?" Martha asked. "There's other places to go." Astro said as he sat up. "Come on, though. I mean, planet of the Time Lords. That's got to be worth a look. What's it like?"

"It's beautiful for one thing." Galaxy told her. "Is it like, you know, other space cities, all spires and stuff?" Martha asked and Galaxy smiled at how giddy she sounded. "I suppose it is." The Doctor said. "Great big temples and cathedrals." Martha said. "Yeah."

"Lots of planets in the sky?" She asked. "The sky's a burnt orange, the Citadel's enclosed in a mighty glass dome, shining under twin suns. There's mountains that go on forever. Slopes of deep red grass, capped with snow."

"Can we go there?" Martha asked. "Nah. Where's the fun for me, Galaxy and Astro? We don't want to go home. Instead, this is much better. Year five billion and fifty-three, planet New Earth. Second hope of mankind. Fifty thousand light years from your old world, and we're slap bang in the middle of New New York. Although technically it's the fifteenth New York from the original, so it's New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York. One of the most dazzling cities ever built."

The Tardis appeared in a narrow alleyway and Astro decided to stay inside after seeing the rain and Galaxy was thankful for having a hood on her coat.

"Oh, that's nice. Time Lord version of dazzling." Martha said. "Nah, bit of rain never hurt anyone. Come on, let's get under cover!" The Doctor said and they ran over to a plywood ghetto. "Well, it looks like the same old Earth to me, on a Wednesday afternoon."

"Let's have a look." Galaxy said as she pulled out her sonic key and used it on a monitor to get it working. "And the driving should be clear and easy, with fifteen extra lanes open for the New New Jersey expressway." The image of a high-tech Manhattan and flying cars showed up on the screen.

"Oh, that's more like it. That's the view we had last time. This must be the lower levels, down in the base of the tower. Some sort of under-city." The Doctor said. "You've brought me to the slums?" Martha asked looking around. "Much more interesting. It's all cocktails and glitter up there. This is the real city."

"You'd enjoy anything." Martha said with her arms crossed. "That's me. Ah, the rain's stopped. Better and better." The Doctor said and walked off leaving Galaxy and Martha where they were. "When he said last time, was that you two and Rose?" Martha asked Galaxy who sighed. "Afraid so." She told her. "You're taking me to the same planets that you took her?"

"Don't worry, I'll have us go somewhere new. I know you probably think you're a rebound but you're not for me, you're someone new and someone needs to go somewhere even me and the Doctor haven't gone to." Galaxy told her and smiled when Martha did slightly.

"Oh! You should have said. How long have you been there?" A man asked as he opened the front of his stall, "Happy. You want Happy." He said and more stall hatches opened. "Customers. Customers! We've got customers!" A woman said. "We're in business. Mother, open up the Mellow, and the Read." Another one said.

"Happy, Happy, lovely happy Happy!"

"Anger. Buy some Anger!"

"Get some Mellow. Makes you feel all bendy and soft all-day long."

"Don't go to them. They'll rip you off. Do you want some Happy?"

"No, thanks." The Doctor said as walked to where Galaxy and Martha were standing. "Are they selling drugs?" Martha asked. "I think they're selling moods." Galaxy told her. "Same thing, isn't it?" She asked and more people entered the area, listless and dressed in rags.