Chapter One

"You have your comb, don't you?" Mum asked, spitting on her handkerchief and rubbing it against my cheek.

"Yes. I have the comb, my stockings, my plimsolls and at least five handkerchiefs. I'll be fine, I don't need your fussing."

I pushed her hand away and rubbed the spittle from my cheek, rolling my eyes and turning away from her. The platform thronged with people. Mother's were triple-checking suitcases and labels, children were arching their necks in search of their friends or clinging onto their mother in hopes they could stay behind. Amongst the group, I spotted a few of my school friends who appeared itching to escape the embarrassing clasp of their mother's.

None of us expected to be gone for too long, and the fact that they had asked us to pack so little only confirmed that. I expected to be back home within the week and didn't quite understand why Mum had kicked up such a fuss over whether I had packed everything or if I had even the slightest speck of dust on my cheek. She had even made sure I had worn my best white blouse and pleated skirt along with a bow in my hair. The collar of the blouse dug into my throat and the bow made me feel like a child.

It felt like a lot for a train ride to the country and a few days away from home, but Mum thought it would be more than that. Of course, the war had been on the tip of everyone's tongues for months, and the evacuation order only confirmed what many people had already suspected. War was on the horizon, and the government thought it might get a little too close to home. Because of the lightness of my suitcase, I suspected they thought we would only be at war for a few days.

"Remember to be polite, say please and thank you, and to write to me. I want to hear everything about your stay and the people you're billeted with. No getting into trouble or causing fights, I need you to be on your best behaviour," Mum said. She brushed her hand over my blouse, trying to remove dirt that wasn't even there.

"Stop fussing, Mum." I pushed her hands off me. "I'll be fine. I'm a big girl, remember?"

"I know, it's just that this is a big deal and I don't want you getting yourself into trouble."

"I won't. I promise." I glanced around. "I should find out what part of the train I'm on, we'll probably be leaving soon so we can get there by dusk."

"Alright. Well, remember I love you, Sybil, remember to write, and I'll see you soon."

Mum pulled me in for a hug, her arms wrapping around my neck. She squeezed like she never wanted to let me go, and almost to where she started to cut off my air supply. I hugged her back, but only lightly, trying not to make eye contact with anyone standing on the platform. After a few seconds, I untangled her arms from around my neck and stepped backwards.

"Yes, you will. And I'll write, promise. Now I have to go."

"Be safe, I love you."

"I know."

To stop Mum from hugging me again, and embarrass me even more than she already had, I grabbed my suitcase from the ground and made my way through the crowd of people towards the back of the train. When I had moved far enough away from Mum, I pulled the bow out of my hair so I could stop looking like a child and undid the top button of my collar to breathe a little and stop my collar from digging in. Although I wanted to make a decent first impression on whoever I might be staying with, I wasn't going to be choked before we even got on the train.

I moved through the crowd to join a few of my friends, Eva, Enid and Mark, who were hanging around near the back of the train and waiting for the order for us to get on board. The only good thing about this evacuation was that I wouldn't be going on my own. Our entire class was going to be travelling together and most likely staying in the same area so we would at least know some people. Everyone else and everything would be completely new.