30. He's sixteen years older than you

Start from the beginning

In front of the children, she wrapped her arms around the back of his head, hugging him to her. Brett tensed at first, but relaxed into the touch and wrapped his own arms around her back, holding her to him.

Both of them remained silent as they held one another.

Olivia was the one to pull away, her eyes finding the pearl necklace again. "This is...", She couldn't find the words. She'd never received something so costly and so beautiful.

Her gaze finds his again, and she resists the urge to kiss him.

Instead, she blushes and thanks him gently. "Thank you so much, Brett.", She whispers.

He nods, and then smirks.

"You can wear it tomorrow.", He raises a brow. And Olivia looks up at him, her face monopolised with confusion. "I have a business engagement, and need a lady to accompany me.", he admits, tilting his head to the side.

Olivia's mouth fell agape again, and she stared at him dumb-founded. "Me?", Is all she said.

He nods his head. "If that is alright? I was thinking you could wear it with one of your dresses? You have many, don't you?", he teases.

Olivia only nods her head. "Yes, yes of course.", She almost chokes on air. But instead, she closes the box, and places it aside. Smiling at the box laying on the coffee table.

"Good. Now...", Brett turns to his daughter. "What are we watching?", he asks, sitting beside his daughter on the sofa.

Charlotte giggles and presses play on the remote. "We're watching Moana.", She says, proudly.

"I love this one!", Olivia gasps, sitting beside Kyle, her eyes glued to the screen.

"I don't.", Kyle mutters, and Olivia chuckles, slapping his arm playfully.

Kyle laughs, and shakes his head, but watches the movie anyway.

Brett smiles at the sight of Olivia with Kyle - she's really good for his family, and he knows it. Olivia was fixing them, every single day, he was making them a better family.

A happier family.

The next day

Olivia's POV

"Are you sure, mum?", I ask as she sits on the edge of my bed, watching me finish off getting dressed.

"Charlotte should sleep for the rest of the night, and Kyle will just stay on his Xbox. Just enjoy your night and relax.", I add - my mum had said she'd be the nanny for the night, but there wasn't much to do.

Me, on the other hand, I was so nervous for this engagement - whatever that meant.

"I know, just enjoy your night sweetheart.", My mother says, smiling at me. She had that look in her eye, that meant she knew something, or had just figured something out. "You like him, don't you?", Her question throws me off.

I almost choke.

Instead, I look over my shoulder, raise a singular brow, and play it cool. "Who?", I ask, casually.

"Brett. Uncle Bretty?", She asks, teasingly.

I scoff and shake my head. How the hell had she figured it out?

She sighs, and I watch her eyes take in the dress that I'd chosen. It was a tight fitted dress, and laid just above my knees. It was red and my heels, black. I had the pearl necklace on, and some white earrings to match the white pearls.

I looked mature... Like a lady, and I liked how I look.

"What makes you think that?", I hum, with a small laugh.

"You never made this much effort for prom.", She teases.

I raise a brow and chuckle at the look on her face - she already knew, she just wanted my confession. I could tell her that I have a crush on him, it didn't mean shit.

"He's good looking.", I sigh, smiling at her.

She laughs and runs a hand through her hair. "Yeah, that he is. He's very nice too, a real gentleman.", She talks him up and I can't help but to wonder what her plan was here.

"He's sixteen years older than you.", She says, watching me closely. I turn to face her fully and shake my head.

"I think he's good looking, I don't want to marry the man.", I lie.

My mother just chuckles and nods her head. "Well, enjoy your evening - don't get too drunk. I've already warned Brett to make sure nothing happens to you. Now go, he's waiting.", She rises from her seat on my bed and cups my face.

"You look beautiful, you know? Like a woman.", She smiles.

"Thanks, mum.", I smile under her gaze.

"Now go and have fun.", She nods to the door.

And that... That I would do.

Please vote and comment, nothing much happened in this chapter, but a lot will happen in the next.. So please, vote and comment! :)