1

The red and blue lights illuminated  the night sky as I rubbed my eyes, wide awake despite the time running 4 hours after my bedtime.

"Don't worry sweetie, it's all going to be okay..." My grandmother reassured me, putting her hands on my shoulders  protectively as a police officer walked up to us.

"Mrs. Yosei, we will have to interrogate the child, as she may have some information on their scheme." He said, gesturing towards my parents, their grim expressions visible through the tinted car window.

"Are you ridiculous? She's 4! Why in God's name would she have anything to do with their business?" She responded, clearly angry.

The officer sighed and walked back to the car, nodding at the other officer before climbing into the driver's seat and driving away.

She stood standing behind me for a few moments after the police car left our line of sight before slowly walking next to me and grabbing my hand.

"Let's go Ikimono." She said.

Little did she know that I was too scared to admit that I didn't want to go with her. All my mother's family friends had always told her she was the spitting image of my grandmother, both in appearance and personality. They didn't know how she yelled at me when no one was listening. I didn't want anymore of that, but I complied, walking behind her as we walked towards her small car.

As the stars rushed past the window in a flurry, the only thing I could think of was how relieved I was that my parents were finally gone. That they couldn't hurt me anymore. At the same time I missed them. My emotions were all mixed up and tangled together.

"Oh well..." I thought, resting my head on the car door. "I'll worry about it tomorrow."

                           303 words