12. Healing Power of Music

Beginne am Anfang

---

Klaus appeared back on the bus, in olive green attire. He was dirty, bloody, and in complete shock. He started breaking down.

When he got off the bus, Klaus angrily slammed the briefcase on a bench repeatedly and threw it. He yelled and the briefcase caught fire, causing it to explode.

Klaus knelt on the ground and started brushing at it desperately before curling into a fetal position and breaking down.

---

He made his way back to the academy. Guinevere slowly stood and hummed softly to herself as that always helped ease her, and felt the pain lessen. It wasn't often she used her powers, as she liked to feel as normal as possible.

Five and Guinevere, who left the med room, made their way to Klaus' room.

Five knocked on the door and asked gently, "You okay?"

"Yeah, just a... Long night," Klaus replied.

"What about the briefcase?" Guinevere asked. "Where is it?"

Five met her eyes. "Briefcase?"

Klaus nodded. "They had a briefcase."

Five studied Klaus. "You did it, didn't you?"

"Did what?"

"You know, I can recognize the symptoms, Klaus."

"The symptoms of what?"

"The jet lag. Full body itch. The headache that feels like someone shoved a box of cotton up into your nose and through your brain. You two gonna tell me about it?"

Klaus sighed and sat on the bed.

After a moment, Klaus said, "Your pals, when they broke into the house and they couldn't find you, they took me and Gwen hostage instead."

Five let out a short laugh. "And in return you stole their briefcase."

"Yeah, I-I got outside. Gwen told me she'd join, but she never showed. So, I opened the briefcase."

Five paced the room while Guinevere crossed her arms.

Five asked in an annoyed tone, "And the next thing you know, you were... Where? Or should I say, when? How long have you been gone?"

Klaus fell silent and Guinevere asked softly, "Where did you go?"

Klaus looked down, instantly thinking of Dave. "Almost a year."

Guinevere frowned. "Five, please explain."

Five sighed. "This briefcase belongs to the people who work for my former boss. This briefcase allows them to travel through time. When Klaus opened it, he was sent through time." He turned to Klaus. "Hazel and Cha-Cha will do whatever they can to get the briefcase back. Where is it now?"

Guinevere looked at her brother-in-law as she rubbed her sore shoulder with a wince. "Klaus, tell me you didn't."

"Gone," Klaus replied. "I destroyed it. Poof."

"What the hell were you thinking?" Five asked, annoyed.

"What do you care?"

"What do I care? I needed it, you moro -- so I could get back. I could start over!"

Guinevere glanced at Klaus. "Whatever happened to you, I'm sorry. But you left me alone there."

Diego walked up and embraced Guinevere, causing her let out a pained gasp, as he was pressing onto her injured shoulder.