Chapter 6 - A Little Touch of a Heavenly Light

It was nearly afternoon and my searches for Davina came up empty. I couldn't use magic, she'd sense it and run scared so I had to rely on my werewolf nose and tracking abilities. But of course, it couldn't be easy since it was the bloody Casket Girls Festival. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Not far from Rousseau's, my ears picked faint screaming. I turned and saw an old building but the screams kept going like someone was being tortured. My eyes widened when I recognized it as the bartender Cami. I ran inside the building and took two steps at a time on the stairs until I reached the source of the screaming. Not bothering to knock, I opened the door - not locked, this girl needed some security lessons - and almost fell to the floor in relief.

"Davina!" I hugged her, in the tightest embrace I ever gave anyone. She seemed shocked and stopped the magic she was doing to Cami and pushed me off of her.

"Who the hell are you?" She pointed her hand at me with a glare but her eyes widened in recognition. "Oh my god, Clair? Clair? It's really you?" She was in near tears, as was I, and I nodded.

"Oh Davina, you're so tall. I've been looking for you like crazy when I heard what happened" I hugged her again and she hugged me back. "What are you doing to Cami though?" I ask with a frown.

"I'm breaking Klaus' compulsion on her" She looks at Cami with a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry, Cami. It's the only way to break it"

"Believe me, I know" I turn to see a young boy, in his twenties with some papers in his hands. He hadn't noticed me yet. "You're okay. And hey - all these notes that you made? It's very Momento of you. Nice work" He looks up and jumps when he sees me, throwing papers all around the room. "Davina, you can't let people in here!"

"Don't worry Josh, she's my friend" She smiles at me and Cami whimpers.

"We've been at this all night. I don't understand what's happening to me, I don't understand any of this-" She complains, lying on the floor in pain.

"But you will. I will unlock every stolen memory, undo every piece of mind control that any vampire has ever done to you. When I'm done, you will understand all of it, and you'll be free. I can stop, if you want me to" She offers but the blonde shakes her head.

"No, don't stop. I want to remember everything" She states and Davina goes at it again and the screams start.

"Davina, wait. You need to do something about the noise, the daywalkers will be looking for you soon and they'll notice a girl screaming bloody murder in her apartment" I say and the three look at me shocked. "What? That's how I found you"

"Why were you looking for me? I thought you ran away from home to become a porn star in New York City" She frowns. I roll my eyes.

"That's the story? Leave it to Sophie to create the crappiest excuse ever" I sit down. "I left because if Marcel found out what I was I would be killed. So I ran away to join my other family. I came back when I heard what had happened to you"

"You didn't know?"

"I haven't been in contact with anyone from the French Quarter for 5 years. I stumbled upon some Originals and heard about it. I looked for you all night"

"Who are you again?" The Josh kids asks.

"I'm Clair Deveraux" I smile at him.

"Like Sophie? And those crazy witches who want to kill Davina?" He narrows his eyes. He smells like a vampire but there's no ring on his fingers. Must be one of Marcel's nightwalkers, the weak and newbies.

"Yes, Sophie is my cousin" Davina looks at me with confusion.

"I thought she was your sister"

"Long story, for another time. I'll take care of the noise, you take care of Cami" She nods and I start mumbling the words of a silent spell. It was hard because my magic was fading, courtesy of the Harvest, but I did it. Cami's screams reached my ears but I kept chanting so the spell wouldn't fall. We keep it up for what seems like hours until she starts to remember something.