Chapter 4 - Her Dirty Paws

"What?" Rebekah all but shrieked. "That can't be, you're either one or the other, you can't be both!" I smile weakly at her and Elijah is sitting still, looking at me with grave eyes.

"I'll explain it to you, can I?" She looked distressed but nodded. "I can actually be both, werewolves are not aberrations of nature like vampires are. Witches are, in their most, servants of nature. But you're right, most often when this happens the stronger gene prevails. I was born to a powerful line of witches and a powerful line of werewolves so they clashed and mixed. I'm half of both, much like your brother Niklaus is both werewolf and vampire"

"So you're saying that you're a type of hybrid?" Elijah asks.

"I'm not sure. The thing is, I was born with magic. For years I thought I was just a regular witch until my werewolf gene was triggered and I turned. I found out that during full moons my magic is ten times stronger and that unlike most werewolves I can maintain control of myself when I turn. I'd say I'm a fortunate mix"

"Sounds messy" Rebekah states.

"It's confusing, I'll admit" I smile.

"What about Hayley? And why do Marcel's guys see you as a witch?" Elijah asks and I run a hand through my dark locks.

"That's an awful long story" I sigh.

"We have all night" Rebekah smirks and gets more comfortable. I frown but decide not to argue. Fighting with Originals would be a horrible idea.

"I was born from a one night stand the Labonair heir of the Crescent Wolf Clan had with Brynne Deveraux. He wouldn't accept me as his daughter, even with my mark. He called her a whore and married soon after to what would become Hayley's mother. About a year later, Brynne was asked to by Marcel to put a curse on the Crescent Wolf Clan so they would only turn human on full moons and be wolves the rest of the time. She was scared for me so she gave me to my aunt to take care of, Sophie and Jane-Anne's mother. She died, not long after, and I was raised by my aunt like I was her daughter so Marcel never figured out I wasn't a full Deveraux. But neither me nor Sophie really cared about being witches. We liked partying, having fun, staying out all night. And one night I was going back home really late, by myself. I took a shortcut but a guy showed up and tried to force himself on me. I pushed him hard off of myself but my magic went out of control and he bashed his head against a wall. He died almost instantly and my werewolf gene was triggered. When I got home and told my aunt what had happened she told me to pack my things and leave before Marcel or his minions figured out who I was. She told me everything, how she had hoped I would never trigger it but now it was too late and the full moon was coming soon" I take a deep breath. That night was the most horrifying moment of my life, I have nightmares even today about it. "I left the Quarter, my family, my friends, my everything searching for a possible family that maybe would accept me"

"But they did, didn't they?" Rebekah interrupts and I look at the floor.

"Not really" I pull my hair behind my ear and look at the floor. "Because of my mark, they let me be a part of the pack. But I didn't belong. Firstly, I wasn't cursed. It really sucked on communication levels and it made almost impossible for me to interact with them. I was also a witch and that scared them. But most important, I was a bastard child who my father never recognized as his own" I see Rebekah and Elijah share a look but I ignored it. "I'm pretty much the outcast. Because of my father, I'm the lowest link in the chain even though I'm one of the strongest and most powerful of the entire pack. The pack itself is divided, nearly at war because of what happened 20 years ago"

"The curse?" Elijah asks and I shake my head in denial.

"We were at war before that. The clan has many powerful lines in it, but the most important are the Royal ones. And they weren't getting along well. They had arranged a marriage between their two heirs but the curse made it impossible. The Labonair heir is missing" I look straight into Elijah's eyes "But if I find her, I'll restore peace in the clan and everything will be fine again. I'll be a part of them. And if Andrea recognizes me as a sister, I'll have my place in the pack secured"

"Andrea..." His eyes widen. "You're going to use Hayley" I shake my head.

"Not so soon. That's why I haven't made my move yet. I'll wait for her child to be born. And I'm not forcing her to do anything, she'll do what she wants" Elijah looks me in the eye but nods.

"Very well. You're a part of the family, Clair. But know this, if you bring any harm to us, it'll be your downfall" I smirk.

"Elijah, you have no idea what's coming"

"Meaning you do?" Rebekah questions with an eyebrow raised.

"I do. One of my talents as a witch is to see glimpses of the future" I sigh "It's been getting weaker though. Something's disrupting the balance here in New Orleans"

"That must be because the witches tried sacrificing Davina, she escaped and now your powers are all waning as hers grow" Rebekah says. My eyes widen and I jump from the chair.

"Davina?!? What happened to her?!?" I ask in horror. If harm came to her, I'd never forgive myself. She was like my little sister, it broke my heart leaving her without a word all those years ago. Elijah frowns.

"You don't know what happened?" I shake my head.

"I spent years traveling looking for Hayley. I'm only here because she is, I haven't heard word from the witches for ages"

"Well your crazy coven decided to sacrifice 16 year olds to renew their ancestor power but Marcel stopped it before it was done and hid Davina from the witches so their power is weakening and will eventually cease to exist" Rebekah says in a bitchy tone, as if she thought all of us would sacrifice little girls for breakfast.

"But Davina is alive? She's safe?" I direct my question to Elijah. He frowns but nods.

"Yes, Marcel is taking care of her. With her magic so powerful, she can sense when magic is done in the Quarter and now Marcel controls the witches"

"Now Klaus controls Marcel so Davina is in his control too" Rebekah adds. I fall back in the chair and put my hands in my hair.

"Oh god, thank heavens she's alright" A tear escapes my eyes and I wipe it away quickly.

"I take you both were friends?" Elijah asks. I nod weakly.

"She was like my little sister. I encouraged her to draw, I played guitar for her, braided her hair on first days of school... It broke my heart to leave her. Are you sure she's ok?"

"Yes, my brother would never harm her. She's too precious for that" I narrow my eyes at that.

"Precious? What is she, a weapon? She's a freaking 16 year old! Don't you or your family dare hurt her or I'll make sure you join your brothers in the afterlife!" I bark and glare at him. I take a quick look at Rebekah and huff. "If she's hurt, emotionally or physically, you'll all regret it" I walk out of the house and slam the huge white door behind me. I needed a little talk with my cousin Sophie about sacrificing young girls for power.