Chapter 2 - Water's Sweet But Blood Is Thicker

It had been hours of Andrea taking care of the sick Original and I was getting tired of it. No wolves dared come closer in wary of the powerful vampire so it was just me, looking after the stupid girl who wants to take care of an immortal.

I played Fruit Ninja on my phone as I waited for something to happen. At the moment, Elijah was delirious talking about something that made Andrea upset. Well, no one told her to fall in love with a guy that has 1000 years and probably had just as many women in his life. Andrea had found the bible yesterday with her real name on it but hadn't really read anything other than that.

I sighed in frustration, falling in love with vampires was always a horrible idea, let alone an original. Andrea was going to get herself killed like this. My battery went dead and I groaned. I didn't even care about making noises, the vampire was going insane with fever and Andrea wasn't even paying attention. I put the phone in my bag and get closer to the cabin.

Andrea comes outside, looking distraught and sees me. I smirk slightly and get out of her sight before she can do anything besides call out for me. She goes back inside to take care of Elijah.

Honestly, they could not be more boring. After what seems like forever without my phone or any decent distractions beside counting the leaves above me, I hear a loud scream. I get up and try to look inside, the Original is going bonkers. He's cursing someone and in a jump he has Andrea by the throat, hallucinating that she's someone else.

"Elijah?" Andrea gasps and I run inside. Oh no, she's not dying on my watch. I take a broken chair leg and stake Elijah right through his heart. It won't kill him, of course, but he'll be out for a while. Andrea looks at me with scared but grateful eyes. "Oh, thank you! I thought I was going to die"

"Seems to be happening a lot to you lately, huh?" I raise an eyebrow and she frowns.

"Do I know you?" She wonders. I shake my head.

"No, but there isn't a werewolf in this Bayou who doesn't know you. Or the child you're carrying" She looks confused and I sigh. "Come on, let's get outside. It's getting late and we should make a fire to keep out unwanted visitors" I walk out, not looking back to see if she's following and pick some branches to make a pile. She helps me, wordlessly, and we have ourselves a good enough fire shortly.

"You probably have tons of questions" I say and look in her eyes.

"Only thousands of them. Like who are you, why are you following me, where the hell is everyone and if the people in this book really are my family, what happened to them?" I try not to sigh at her, it's not her fault she's clueless.

"My name is Clair. I'm following you because I was curious about you and then the Original suit and tie showed up making everyone get away from him. And what happened to our family, well, Marcel happened" I explained shortly. No way was I telling her that I'd been around her so I could get her to Jackson when the full moon came, or that I was her sister.

"What did he do?" She frowned.

"Killed most of them. After that, just to make sure we wouldn't come back, he made a witch curse the descendants and the ones who escaped death" I poked the fire with a stick, I didn't want to be reminded of the curse.

"What kind of curse?" Yeah, she just had to ask that. I sighed.

"A curse that flipped our natures, inside out. So our natural state is wolves and we only turn back to humans on full moons. Our marks make us hunted, that crescent moon birthmark. That's why I hide mine" I lowered my shirt so she could see the same mark she has on my shoulder. "So I couldn't be found without it"

Just as I finished talking, Elijah came by, twirling the makeshift stake in his hand.

"Good evening, think I might have something that belongs to you" He says, showing the stake.

"Elijah, I've got this. Are you okay?" Andrea takes a step in front of me, in a protective stance. I frown, that's the first time someone does that since my cousin.

"The wound is healed, the fever is broken but for some strange reason I have this sharp and lingering sensation on my back" He looks me right in the eye and were I not used to standing my ground against people much stronger than me, I would've been scared. Andrea turns to me.

"I've got to get him home. But I'll be back, okay? I have to know more" I nod. She won't be back though, and I know it. The Originals won't let her.

"Keep that mark covered up. No one can know about it" I turn on my heels and leave, I felt new presences in the Bayou and it could mean trouble. I wove my way through the trees and saw a trailer parked, far away from the nearest road. I walked closer to it and saw a werewolf.

"You know, you should get something more noticeable, like some spotlights or neon lights" I twirl a strand of my hair as I come closer and he jumps when he notices me.

"What do you mean? No one will see it here, we're in the middle of the Bayou" He narrows his eyes at me so I step into the weak light coming from the window of the trailer.

"Look, this is our hiding place. If vampires or witches come by, we know how to hide. But you can't hide a freaking trailer behind a tree, this ain't a cartoon" His eyes widen at my words and he looks me up and down.

"You're part of the Crescent Wolf? You're human"

"Yeah... No one really knew about me besides my aunt so the curse never hit me. I only found out like 5 years ago when I turned" He nods in understanding. "Anyway, you need a better hiding place. It's dangerous out here and I'm not talking 'bout the crocs"

"I'm Cary" He extends his hand with a small smile and I notice a glint from a ring in his fingers "From the North East Atlantic"

"Clair" I shake his hand and frown "What are you doing here? Our packs hate each other, it's even more dangerous for you to be in our territory"

"Yeah, I know. But we heard about that miracle baby" I purse my lips. They better not be wanting to get their hands on it. "Oh no, we don't want it or anything. It's just that there's this legend in our pack. That one of our first alphas fathered a child to a powerful witch. And he later turned into something no one had ever seen, a mix of werewolf and vampire" My eyes widen at that.

"A hybrid" I whisper.

"Yeah. And we think it's Klaus Mikaelson. We came to check him out. He may be a hybrid and everything, but we won't turn our back on family. Even if it's older than us" He grins and I feel a pang in my chest. It would've been better if I was born into their pack.

"You must know he's dangerous. He just might kill you all"

"Ah, we just brought a small group. And we're stronger than we look" He winks and I frown.

"Anyway, you still better hide this trailer" I say and walk away. God, why is it that every time I look the other way more trouble finds its way through the cracks of New Orleans?