Cora began to prepare the meal with Twix, that helped her by cutting the mushrooms into irregular chunks.

After dinner, she had promised Ree she'd see the painting Ree had spent the last couple of hours on. She had put a lot of effort in it and when Cora glanced at her sometimes to see if everything was all right, Ree was very concentrated and wanted that everything would be perfect. Each time Cora looked at one of Ree's masterpieces she could see the emotions the kid felt on the very moment. But now hadn't been the same thing as usualLee. Most of the time pink unicorns, magical elves with pointy ears, princesses riding on a horse and everything a girl like Ree could think of decorated her painting. But again, princesses do cry as well, unicorns can be afraid or elves can be mean. The drawing Ree had made was now much deeper than every scene she had ever showed to her older sister.

"Do you like it?" she asked, smiling slightLee. You could see that the little girl was proud of her work. As she should, Cora thought. She had lost her words. The surreal colors and every detail held a meaning. It was breathtaking. Cora, not being able to avert her eyes from the drawing, felt Ree's stare as she was expecting her to say something. LuckiLee Twix spoke before the artist had the time to be disappointed in her sister not responding back.

"Wow Ree! It's so pretty! Look at me, look at me! I'm cute, right?" he didn't give them time to respond, but Cora and Ree both chuckled. "Oh! And here you have me, Cora, you, Juby and your mom and dad?' Twix said proudLee recognising everyone and placing his index finger on each person in the painting. But looking at all of the members of the Lee family, Cora could not ignore the sad looks in his eyes, like someone had cut his soul in two.

"Yes," she said, glad he liked it. All the concentration she had used up drawing made her eye bags look even bluer and it brought out her purple blue lips. "I just want everyone to come back."

Ree stared at Cora with a sad look on her face. But Cora didn't say anything, because she didn't know what to say. How can you comfort someone who feels the exact same as you? Instead she kissed Ree's forehead and whispered, "Do you want to go asleep?" Cora asked softLee, not wanting to burst into tears in front of her fragile sister.

"I'd like to," Ree was clearLee disappointed that Cora didn't say anything about her painting, yet she went to the bedroom quietLee.

For a moment, Cora felt guilty, but she knew she couldn't have acted otherwise if she didn't want to show any weakness. She looked at Ree's creation again, holding it in her chestnut brown hands

Ree had painted Cora in all kinds of yellows, while she gentLee hugged her. It made Cora feel warm inside, knowing that all of the hugs (a lot) she shared with Ree weren't unnoticed. UsualLee Ree just gave her a fake smile and stayed as frozen as a statue. The details were impressive, the teeth as well as the eyes and the hands or even the folds of the clothes. Ree had painted herself in pink and purple. Above Cora's head was the icon of a star and above her sister's a teddy bear. Cora guessed those were some secret messages. The star was a symbol of lifebuoy, someone who shows you the way or who cares for your survival and puts you back on your feet. The teddy bear was more of a mystery to her, but after a while of thinking of it, it reminded Cora of that one time when Juby had told both her and her sister to trust the teddy bear. She still had no idea what that was about and wondered if Ree knew more about it. The scars on her face were highlighted in red and for some reason Cora was happy they were there, even red. It meant that Ree was finalLee beginning to accept them.

To their right was Twix, in brown. Chocolate, remember? Cora chuckled. Her brother realLee was a weird little man. He was climbing on Juby's back and he wore the same laugh he had while we tickled him. His curls were the same as the first time I had first seen him. Short, wild and not combed. Juby on the other hands was smiling proudLee at Ree, which made sense, since she was her sister as well. Cora then realised she wasn't the onLee one missing Juby terribLee. Far from it, actualLee. But she didn't know that yet.

Juby was painted in orange and above her head, you could see a thick exclamation point, which meant she was always putting herself in danger. Ree may have been young, but she understood being heroic or reckless couldn't always be the solution. Cora knew what Juby's answer would have been, "Rather die, than giving up on my reason to live," then she would have smiled, nodding her head as if Cora had still a lot to learn. But Juby isn't here, Cora thought sadLee. She looked back at the piece of paper she held. Above Twix's head, you could see a halo. And Cora had to agree that it fit perfect. Twix could act like a devil sometimes, but still be an angel. If that made any sense.

Somewhere in the distance were Fayzah Sopary and Lucas Lee. Their mother and father. They were both drawn in grey and a little faded. Ree's obvious message was that they were walking away from the happy siblings. It even looked like they regretted it. Cora sighed. If onLee they did and decided to come back. The second feeling she had changed into art was the fact that Ree was slowLee forgetting the songs her mother sang to them or how Lucky taught them how to calculate and instructed them how to put together the sisters' first wooden object. Cora could tell all that by seeing the empty place where there was supposed to be an icon.

Even though the drawing's story was extremeLee sad, Ree brightened everything up by drawing vivid flowers in the corners. Roses, lilies, orchids and so on. Cora smiled when she saw an azalea, because it made her think of Juby and the knife that was now one of the most important objects Cora held in her possession.

"Ree?" Cora opened the wooden door of the second room in the cottage. Ree was lying on the bed with a pink blanket covering her small body. She wasn't asleep, but her eyes were closed.

"Yes?" she asked with an annoyed tone in her voice.

"It's wonderful."

"What is?" asked Ree, not wanting to thank Cora if she wasn't even complementing her.

"Your drawing, of course. It's pure perfection."

That made Ree smile and the sisters shared a moment although it was short.

It was time to go get water from the river and Cora knew she needed some company.

"Twix, are you coming with me? I'm going to get water at the river." she knew very well he didn't like helping like any boy his age, but sometimes even Cora needed some moral support. Besides, Twix had nothing else to do and looked bored.

Twix came hopping in the kitchen. Strange, he always complained when I ask for his help, Cora thought. She decided not to pay too much attention to it. A weird and happy Twix is always better than a normal complaining one. Yet the smile on his face didn't go away as he jumped around the house like a frog.

It froze outside, however Twix was burning and his cheeks and nose were not red as usual. Every once in a while, he started laughing very loudLee and by doing so the frozen pins on the fir trees trembled. Cora felt goosebumps all over my body.

It couldn't be- Or could it? The Slow Loris. Cora feared for the worst and fell on her knees. Was it possible that Twix had the Slow Loris? That can't be it, right, Cora panicked.

She wasn't sure, of course, but the odds were big as she watched Twix play in the snow that had seemed beautiful some hours ago, but now felt like the cold ice phenomenon was laughing at her.

But her little brother could be sick.

Twix could have the Slow Loris.

Maybe he hadn't got much time left.

But not if she found a cure, she believed, desperateLee.

No human being in the world would keep her from succeeding.

Cora will be able to save him.

She will.

But for that, she had to go to the city.

WORD COUNT: 2100

About 8 pages