Sneak Peek Idea

So, I just spent the weekend at my grandmother's house in the country (yes, the one from Coyote). I got some inspiration and decided to write a short-story. It's not done, but I did write this. It's improvised, so it might not be great and it lacks a lot of context. Nevertheless, this is the theme for my next "short" story.

I stared down at the old hallway, shadows obscuring the view of that old door at the end. 

Nevertheless, it was there. It stood there, looming over me. 

Almost taunting me. Daring me to draw close. To open it wide and reveal its secrets. 

Even though it knew I wouldn't. It knew I was too scared, which led it to taunt me further. 

I realized my hands were trembling. I was scared. But it was just a door, right? 

 Just a door that had haunted my every nightmare. 

In every dream, something unspeakable rested just beyond. 

It couldn't have been a coincidence. 

But I was a big boy. I had to prove that I was no longer scared. 

So I stepped forward into the hallway. 

The motionless door stared me down. 

Nothing more than a closet door. 

Right? 

I stepped ever closer, my fear rising. I

 was just scaring myself. None of it was real. 

Right? 

My fingers wrapped around the cool metal handle.

But I froze. My fingers refused to twist. 

I didn't care if it was real or not. 

I didn't care if I was scaring myself. 

I was still scared. 

I didn't want to open that door. 

I didn't want to take that risk. 

I knew that it wasn't just a door. I knew it was so much more. 

I still know it too. 

But to this day, I still haven't found the bravery in myself to open that door. 

I still don't have the strength to prove to myself that it was all just a bad dream.

I hope this is good, or that it at least snags your interest. Or if it's bad, then tell me and let me know how I can improve!