Chapter 4

Opal whirled behind her. She pulled up her hood from behind making her identity a mystery. Multiple archers faced her but aimed towards the Skrill.

Opal pulled her bow out and aimed at the archers.

The trader came behind the archers. "Fire!" He yelled.

Opal turned back to the Skrill and tried to shoo him to safety.

"No no no!" She yelled!

The Skrill then grabbed Opal by his sharp talons and lifted her into the sky.

Opal didn't fight it but she still was scared.

After many seconds the Skrill finally landed. Opal stood up and was stunned. The Skrill's scaley body was full with arrows. Opal was shocked that so many hit him but not one hit her.

The Skrill collapsed. Opal was fast enough to have the Skrill's head on her lap.

"No. I'm so sorry!" She whispered.

Opal pulled an arrow out from his body. He roared in pain. But then made that clicking noise Opal once heard.

Opal studied the arrow carefully. "Dragonroot." She observed.

The Skrill groaned in pain. Opal had tears falling from her face. "It's my fault." She hugged the Skrill's head. He made the clicking noise before he fell into a deep sleep.

***

The next morning, Opal had collected almost every electric eel in the islands reach. A few Vikings had asked what she was doing. But some didn't bother.

Opal had to get away from Viggo's, Johan's and Kroger's suspicion. She knew they were after the Skrill. Yet she didn't know why.

Opal was so close to the hill where she left the Skrill sleeping.

Opal then heard the sound of dragon wings flapping in the distance. She hid under the nearest bush and watched the sky closely.

Krogen and his flyers scouted out the island. Krogen's Titan Wing Singetail was fast enough to scout out the island in minutes. The others, couldn't.

Once it was clear, Opal hurriedly ran to the hiding spot she put the Skrill before she left.

Opal saw the Skrill. He was still sleeping which was lucky for Opal. She gently placed the basket of electric eels by his head and ran off.

Opal knew everyone would get suspicious if the chief's daughter was nowhere to be found so she hurriedly ran back to her house.

By the time Opal was back in village, she was panting and out of breath.

Opal trudged her feet inside her house but was stopped halfway in the house by her father's voice. "I want to know why you've been trying to kill that Skrill that I've claimed!" The chief yelled.

Opal heard Johann ugh in frustration. "Fine, Frode!" He began. "We need the Skrill's fire."

Opal peeked in the house. The chief gave Johann a confused expression. "Just go after another Skrill then!"

Johann groaned and threw a dagger at the wooden wall. Opal jumped and almost fell backwards. "There is no other Titanwing Skrill!" He shouted at Opal's father.

Opal looked through a crack in the door. She saw her father's expression. It was impressed.

"That Skrill is a Titanwing." He asked.

Johann nodded. "Once we get the fire. I can trap it and then you can kill it!" He scowled at the chief.

Opal was puzzled. The Skrill was a Titanwing.

"Isn't there any other Titanwing Skrill in the Archipelago?" The chief protested.

Johann shook his head. "No, only this one."

Opal knew her father wouldn't give up the Skrill that easily. She hoped he wouldn't.

"Fine, Johann we both get what we want then." The chief gave in.

No! Opal thought with frustration.

Opal fought back her father's words like a Monstrous Nightmare.

Opal wanted badly to check on the Skrill. She prayed he was safe.

The chief's daughter squinted trying to make up her mind of going to see the Skrill or making no one suspicious.

***

She headed over the hills. Not stopping for anything.