"I know. I'm here. We're all here." And with that he's silent, simply holding you while you cry, knowing his words won't change your new reality. Knowing all you need right now is someone to hold you while you finally stop trying to be brave.

The door opens. There's a pause, followed by Taehyung's deep voice, filled with concern. "Y/n-ah, what's-" he starts. You feel Jungkook shake his head, cutting him off. Face still hidden in Jungkook's shoulder, all you hear is the sound of the door closing.

You have no idea how long you sit there like this, strong arms wrapped firmly around you. One hand gently moves, drawing slow, soothing circles on your back. You can feel his heart beating steadily in his chest, the rhythm calming you. His warmth radiates through you, easing the tension in your muscles. Gradually, the tears stop flowing and your breathing slows.

As your raging emotions fade, a new one replaces them: embarrassment.

The now all-too-familiar heat rises in your cheeks as the vulnerability of the moment sets in, and you hastily release Jungkook. Avoiding his eyes, you wonder if there will ever be a day when you don't blush in front of him.

"Y/n-ah? Are you ok?" His voice is soft, laden with concern. You sneak a quick glance at him. He's looking at you intently, confusion etched on his face. His arms are still slightly outstretched from your sudden departure. Your eyes find the floor again as you silently plead with your cheeks to cool down.

Why did I have to fall apart in front of him?

"Ya, I'm fine. I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to..." you trail off, not sure what to say. He doesn't speak, simply waiting for you to find your words. "It's just...I'm terrified. And I've been trying so hard to not be terrified, to be brave and strong. But I'm not brave or strong. I keep freezing up, I can't find Mi Young, and that dream...I couldn't do anything. I couldn't help you all. What if that happens? What would I do without you all?" You stop, feeling tears brimming again. A single one escapes, racing down your cheek, and you hate yourself for being so weak.

It's silent for a moment, and you're worried that you've said and done too much. Jungkook reaches over, cupping your cheek with his warm hand, raising your reluctant eyes to meet his.

"Y/n-ah, you are one of the bravest and strongest people I know. I've watched you put yourself in danger to distract a zombie from your friends, lead all seven of us across town in the dark with monsters everywhere, and risk yourself by running back to see where I was. Those are not the actions of a weak person. Being scared doesn't mean you can't also be brave." His voice is quiet, soft as silk. Lightly brushing his thumb over your cheekbone, he wipes away the tear lingering there.

Even as butterflies erupt in your stomach, doubt creeps in, making you wonder if he's simply saying this to calm you down.

"What about you? You're never scared." You sniffle, searching those doe-eyes that are watching you so closely.

He chuckles at that, dropping his hand from your face. "Are you kidding? Of course I'm scared. It would be crazy to not be scared. I mean, we're dealing with zombies. I don't know about you, but I've never been in a zombie apocalypse before. The important thing is not letting fear rule you."

You don't answer, mulling over his words.

"I mean it, y/n. I'm not worried about you being scared, that's normal. I would only be worried if you weren't scared. Then I would know for sure what I've always thought - that you actually are insane." He grins mischievously, leaning over and ruffling your hair playfully. You bat his hand away, but can't help the smile dancing across your lips. You search his eyes again, finding only sincerity twinkling there.

His words lifted the weight on your heart, now feeling as light as a feather. You look with new eyes at the man sitting across from you, smiles still plastered on both of your faces. A light breeze blows through, lifting his dark hair lightly as the sunlight kisses his cheeks. The light bounces off his silver earrings, the small glint quickly disappearing as he combs a hand through his hair. Eyes sparkling, his grin softens into that cute bunny smile, and you can't help but watch him. He's simply mesmerizing.

You can't believe how this man, who used to drive you absolutely crazy, now makes your heart flutter in a way it hasn't before. You thought he was just rude and stubborn, but in such a short amount of time he's shown you so much more. There's so much depth and compassion that you were completely unaware of.

How could someone so infuriating now be so important to me? You can't stop marveling at the change.

"I know we made a deal, but thank you..again. For..well, you know." You grimace, hating to point out your breakdown. He laughs lightly, the sound automatically causing your smile to return.

"No problem." His smile fades slightly, a seriousness taking over his features. "We'll be ok. I really believe that. As long as we're all together, we'll be ok. And hey, I'll always be here. You don't need to worry about that. You're stuck with me. With all of us."

"Promise?" You raise your pinky finger, causing him to laugh again. He hooks his pinky finger in yours, smiling brightly.

"Promise."

Sitting beside Jungkook, with the breeze ruffling your hair and warm sunlight streaming on your face, you feel a small flicker of hope ignite in your chest. Maybe, just maybe, you all will be ok.

***

The spell that's been cast over the balcony breaks as the door creaks open, Taehyung poking his head out hesitantly.

"Permission to enter?"

Jungkook snorts, rolling his eyes at the joke. "Permission granted."

His boxy smile appears, lighting up his features as he steps onto the balcony. "We don't know how, but the power is back on and Jin hyung made breakfast. I thought you guys might want some." His eyes flash to you nervously, no doubt wondering why the last time he saw you, you were literally crying on Jungkook's shoulder, and trying to decide whether he should ask about it or not.

"Sorry about before, Taehyung. I'm ok now. Thanks for coming to get us, breakfast sounds great. We have backup generators in this building, they must have turned on" you stand before any questions are asked, not wanting to delve into what happened again. Taehyung simply smiles again, not pressing you but instead wrapping a comforting arm around your shoulders and guiding you back through the balcony door, Jungkook following silently behind. You're met with sounds of the rest of the boys laughing as they play in the kitchen, Jin scolding them and yelling for them to get out before they ruin the food he made.

Even in the midst of the horrific world outside, these boys still manage to laugh and joke with each other. Their laughter fans the flame of hope that Jungkook started in your chest, and you beam at all of them, knowing now that you could not survive without them.

Still laughing at the look on Jin's face when Namjoon somehow broke the spatula he was using, you all sit down to breakfast. But the laughter stops abruptly as another sound echoes around your apartment. A loud, thumping noise, getting more and more frantic. You all stand, turning towards the front of your apartment.

Someone is banging on your front door.

A/N
Sorry if this chapter felt similar to the last one. I started a new kdrama and I'm feeling so soft. I promise there will be more zombies (and other things🤫) soon!
- m.