5

"What's going on?" you ask Niccolo from behind the counter. You'd all been eating dinner when the lights shut off. After a few moments they'd turned on again but it'd unnerved you.

Thankfully, nothing bad had occurred. The Scouts were able to carry on with their meals without interruption. But you heard Armin mumbling to himself about how the pipes were being put under strain from the weather. Everyone is starting to grow worried. They're getting restless; you all are sick of staying indoors when you could be outside helping people.

Jean, Sasha, Connie and you had gone to the kitchen, looking for answers. The kitchen is where the control panel is located.

The already frazzled Marleyan chef peers up at you, sees Sasha at your side, and grows even more nervous.

"Something wrong with the gas pipes," he mutters.

"Do you need help?" Sasha asks.

"It's fine. I fixed it." Niccolo swings the panel closed and rises to his feet. "You four can leave now."

"What if we want to stay here?" Sasha seats herself on top of a counter in one swift motion.

"You can stay. The rest can leave," Niccolo says. Sasha beams and affectionately rubs Niccolo's arm.

Jean and Connie seem to have not heard him. They're arguing heatedly while making angry gestures with their hands.

"You're basically saying you're forfeiting," Jean says exasperatedly.

"For the last time, no I'm not! I just don't want to have sex with Sasha," Connie gripes.

You sigh. Jean, Connie, Eren and Reiner had spent the afternoon vying with each other. They all took the bet so seriously. To them, it's more than just a way to win free labour. It ran deeper than that; you suspect that they're all desperate to prove their manhood.

Men. You roll your eyes.

"What?" Niccolo's attention snaps to Connie.

"They're competing," you explain to him. "Connie has to have sex with Sasha before Jean has sex with Mikasa to win."

Niccolo gapes at you.

"You know I would never want to ruin my relationship with Connie," Sasha reassures him. "Connie's my friend."

"And what am I?" There's a hint of some unnamed emotion behind his voice.

"A good friend," Sasha says. "What else could you be?"

Niccolo throws his apron down on the table and stalks off.

Sasha looks at you confusedly.

You only shrug in response, because you had no explanation for Niccolo's strange behavior either. Men were so confusing.

—————

Later that night, your friends gather in your room after dinner.

Armin had advised that you use candles tonight. Instead of using your gas lamps, you'd lit several candles to provide a means to see. You, Armin, Sasha, Connie, Jean, Eren and Reiner are sitting in a loose circle on the floor of your room.

"You're lucky you didn't get punished today," Jean says to Connie. "I could tell the captain wanted to."

Connie still hasn't recovered from his encounter with Levi. Instead of his usual blatant disrespect, he mumbles, "He's fucking scary."

Eren barks out a laugh. "Didn't you say yesterday that you weren't scared of that 'little old man'?"

"Be quiet! What if he hears you?" Connie seethes.