2- The Waiting Game

The sun was setting the trees making eerie shadows. Louise was getting nervous her leg twitching every minute. I split my nut bar with her but I could tell she was still hungry. Just as expected the Iron Fists didn't chase after us. They probably thought we were in the next town over.
"Shouldn't we light the fire?" Louise asks the temperature dropping.
"No, not yet."
"But doesn't fire repel the creatures."
"Yes but if there's a reason for them to come near, like two blood sacks, they will." I begin a loud growl coming from the heart of the forest. "Which is exactly why you'll be sleeping in there." I point to a tall easily climbable tree. She looks a little uneasy but nods in agreeance.
"When I light the fire I want you to climb the tree, I'll be there as soon as I'm done." I instruct looking concerned with the amount of sticks I've collected. It has to last the whole night. The fire repelled the larger creatures but rabbits and dogs could tolerate it. She nods her eyes tired. She wraps her arms around her chest trying to keep her warmth. "My Uncle's probably worried sick about me." She whispers, mostly to herself.
"I'm sure he is." I comment with disinterest planting dead grass in the heart of the stick mount.

It gotten dark so drastically I can barely see her now.
"He didn't even know I left. It was suppose to be a surprise." She looks to the floor her knees now to her chest. "I thought I could be useful." Her voice caught in her throat her body shaking. Crying? I shuffle in my seat turning to the pile of sticks. "I'm sure you'll find your strength."
"Strength?" Her voice was raw and soft. Definitely crying.
"Yeah, mine is my speed. I've always been fast in athletics carnivals at my school and now it's like my speciality." I justify distracting her from her thoughts.
"I don't think I have one." She says bluntly.
"Everyone has one." She sits up straighter wiping her eyes. "It doesn't have to be physically or anything just your thing."
"I guess, I'm pretty good at shooting." I nearly choke. Shooting? This girl can't shoot. Well I don't think she can. She's soft and emotional. Shooting? She can barely handle a few cracking twigs. A gun. She can't possibly be able to shoot. Well people anyway. I keep myself from saying anything.
"Yeah my dad used to own a shooting ranch and secretly he would let me practise." Yeah on targets, I almost add.
The cries were getting louder as the night became dark. "Start climbing." I demand arranging the sticks in a pyramid shape. The calls were close. I fumble with the heap my heart starting to race. I quickly run to grab my backpack ripping it open. I fiddle for the matches my hands working slower than my mind could produce instructions.
"Lillian." Louise whispers making me look up. She points to the side a black figure off in the distance. I freeze taking shallow breaths. I quietly pull out the the matches careful not to make a sound. It can't smell me, yet, but it sure can hear me. I pull out a match stick constantly looking up at the beast. I strike the match a solid scratching sound escaping into the air. The beast looks in my direction his eyes glowing a pale green. I strike it again the stick snapping. The beast runs at me with incredible speed. I dive back the beast striking my shoulder as it passed. I lift my cross bow and shoot. The beast whines scrambling on the ground. Other animals cry, leaves rustling loudly in the distance.

I scramble back to the bon fire. I feel with my hands for the matches the ground pitch black. Growls surround me the beasts knowing I'm here.
"Lillian?" Louise whispers softly so only I could here. Where are the matches? I feel all around me the box gone. There's no time to start a fire from scratch. I take deep breaths calming myself down. I'm not going to make it if I panic. "Panic equals death." Dad whispers in my ear alerting me of my surroundings. I slowly feel over the leaves and dirt careful not to miss anything. I pick up the pace a bit a huge lodge stuck in my throat. My shoulder burned and heart raced. I nearly jump and scream with relief when I feel the tiny box between my fingers. I frantically pull out a stick striking it as accurately as I could. The little light comes to life between my fingers.
"Hurry." Louise warns her voice barely audible. I place it on the pile watching it smoke. I blow on the flame nurturing it. The flames grow taller lighting the clearing. I throw the rest of the pile of sticks on the growing fire. I look up just to be confronted with more pale glowing eyes staring at me. I grab my pack and crossbow breaking for the tree. I scale the tree it's sharp edges cutting my palms. The creatures jump at my heels snapping there ferocious jaws. I scramble to a thick branch right next to Louise. They scratch at the trunk the flames growing taller hopefully irritating their eyes.