chapter twenty one

Start from the beginning

"N-no reason", he answered.

Sapnap chuckled again and leaned forward. His hands were reaching behind Karl's back and he slowly opened the loop. The taller boy tensed, a reason why Sapnap quickly stepped a step back.

"Sorry", he mumbled and scratched the back of his neck, a slight blush on his cheeks. "You look cute tho", he added.

Now, it was Karl's time to blush.

"Thank you. What are you doing here?", he quickly put the apron off and scrunched it up in his hands.

"I wanted to see you".

"Oh", the brunet was still nervous, afraid that he wants to come inside.

Sapnap hasn't told him anything about his birthday, Karl only knew it from Dream. It was supposed to be a surprise, a surprise for Sapnap from Karl, Quackity, Dream and George. And now the birthday boy is way too early at Karl's house.

"Should we go inside and just watch a movie?", the smaller boy was already walking towards the door but Karl reacted quickly, grabbing his arm softly to stop him.

"No! Let's... c-can you help me drive again? I mean I haven't drove in a while an-", - "Of course! Yeah, that's a great idea", Sapnap interrupted him, sensing the nervousness of the other boy in front of him.

As they were driving towards their usual parking lot, Karl quickly texted Quackity:

He's giving me driving lessons. There's decoration in my room, use it. We're gonna be back in a few hours.

-------------------

"You did great! You're getting better every time".

A few hours have passed and they were currently on their way to the front door. The house looked dark from the outside, no light inside it was on. Karl needed to bite his bottom lip, to stop it from forming into a smile.

The excitement grew inside him as he quickly unlocked the door. He stepped in at first, eying the rooms suspiciously to find any of their friends. Sapnap stepped in as well and as the door fell into the lock again, the lights were turned on and Dream, George and Quackity jumped into their view.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!", they all screamed.

Karl giggled softly as he looked at his friends, everyone covered in streamers and they all had party hats on. Dream was already walking towards the two boys at the door, putting a party hat on their heads.

"Who planned this?", Sapnap asked immediately.

"Karl did", George answered and smiled at the brunet.

Sapnap's head turned around to Karl, only to find him smiling softly at him.

"How did you know about my birthday?", his voice was quiet, only for Karl to be heard.

"Dream told me. Do you actually think you can hide your birthday from me?", a scoff slipped through the taller boy's lips and Sapnap just looked at him, his eyes were slightly shining.

"Thank you", he breathed.

"Of course", Karl whispered as well, still smiling gently.

"And thank you guys as well", the smaller boy turned around, facing his three other friends.

"You're welcome! Now, come inside and tell us how bad Karl is at driving", Quackity was already walking towards the living room and the others were following him as well.

Sapnap quickly grabbed Karl's wrist, stopping him from walking ahead. The brunet turned around and looked at him, a frown on his forehead.

"You're alright? What's wrong?", he asked.