Chapter Twenty-Four

"This is speech"
'This is thoughts'
"This is telepathy"
"Sindarin"
"Black speech"

All art belongs to their respective owners, I found them all on Pinterest and claim no ownership over any.

I Héri -o I runya
(The lady of the flame)
Chapter Twenty-Four:

The constant running was even getting to the elves. They had been racing across the plains for days, relying on Aragorn's exceptional tracking skills to follow the hobbits.

"Their pace has quickened." Aragorn exclaimed, lying listening on the rocky terrain. "They must have caught our scent." He jumped up briefly turning his head to call to the others.  "Hurry!"

"Come on, Gimli!" Legolas called over his shoulder as he jumped over a rock with ease.

Gimli, breathing hard, looked to the sky for strength. "Three days and nights pursuit. No food, no rest, no sign of our quarry but what bare rock can tell."

⋆┈┈。゚❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ❁ུ۪ ❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ゚。┈┈⋆

Hours later, Glorfindel stopped suddenly, turning back and kneeling on the floor. He carefully picked up Pippin's leaf-brooch, showing it to the others (minus Gimli, who was still catching up).

"Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall." Aragorn breathed.

"They may yet be alive!" Legolas hoped, taking a swig of water that Narvana offered him gratefully.

"Less than a day ahead of us." Glorfindel discovered, rising and leading the way. "Come."

Just behind them, Gimli fell out, exhausted, from behind a boulder and rolled down the hill.

Legolas turned around so that he was running backwards for a few moments, "Come! Gimli, we are gaining on them!"

Gimli struggled to his feet, panting.

"I am wasted on cross-county. We Dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances."

⋆┈┈。゚❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ❁ུ۪ ❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ゚。┈┈⋆

The five of them struggled over some rocky terrain, pausing as they found themselves stood on a rise which overlooked vast green lands.

"Rohan. Home of the Horse-lords." Aragorn murmured, more to himself than for the benefit of the others.

"There is something strange at work here." Narvana said quietly, emerald eyes scanning the land intently. "Some evil gives speed to these creatures... sets it's will against us."

"Well that's slightly ominous." Gimli muttered, and for the first time in days, they all cracked grins.

They jumped down over the rocks, beginning to make their way again, when Aragorn turned to the elves.

"Can you see anything?"

The three of them peered into the distance, and it was Legolas who announced their findings.

"The Uruks turn Northeast. They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!"

"Saruman." Aragorn sighed, rubbing a hand over his face. "This complicates things slightly."