8- The Storm

All night. Two stayed at the outpost all night. Kia resisted the urge to pound on the glass and scream, knowing that would only trigger another round of sneeze-inducing glitter. She rested her cheek against the cold curved wall, the foggy dew collected in tiny beads on the glass stung.  The overcast morning left a glaze over the entire sphere.  Ignoring the pain she traced angry squid with pointy teeth onto the foggy surface. Jokes on you Katsu. I'll be free in no time, just need to wait for the right moment.

Hours after sunrise Two emerged from the nearby cabin. She raised her eyebrows at the almost evaporated mural.

"Bored, are we?"

"Not at all. Life inside a snowglobe has been most enlightening."

Two flicked the glass, sending a shining cloud of sparkles into the air.

"Oh really, then enlighten me with your newfound knowledge O octo."

"ACHOO! Well for starters I've learned that the Squidbeak Splatoons are fans of cruel and unusual containment."

Two frowned, "I'm sure any barbaric Octarian cell is twice a cruel."

"Sure, cuz we're not pansies, but at least Octarian cells have the decency to not be so..."--she let a handful of glitter sift through her fingers. The fine particles settled back to the bottom of the globe-- "Flamboyant."

"I mean, what purpose does the snowglobe even serve? Is it just here to add insult to injury?"

Two for once looked puzzled, "Well, maybe. I think it's tradition to hold enemies in glass spheres. Been that way since Grandpa's time."

She shrugged, "If it isn't broken don't fix it."

"Didn't Octavio literally escape from one just a few weeks ago?"

Two squinted at her in the way Kia privately dubbed the murder face.

"That was a freak occurrence and we will be investigating what actually went down...as soon as we recover our missing agents."

Two let the silence linger, turning away to pick at a loose thread on her sleeve. Kia bit her lip. She managed to quell the question on her mind since Katsu had accused her of being an abductor...for about five seconds.

"How, how long has Three been missing?"

Two snorted, "You tell me squidnapper."

"For the last time, I am absolutely innocent!"

She stirred up enough glitter to cause a fit of sneezes.

Two gave Kia a flat stare.

"For this particular crime." Kia amended.

"Innocent or not Four wants you behind glass. I gotta back up my teammate. No hard feelings."

Kia swallowed her frustration and worked on refogging her canvas through deep exhales. Stubborn. So stubborn. Katsu hasn't changed a bit.  Forget about Three.  She ground her teeth.  It's time to go.

---

By noon Kia's patient bent towards breaking. Two hadn't even bothered to leave for lunch. She simply pulled out a takeout bag from the cabin and delicately nibbled on a shwaffle while eyeing Kia. Her stomach rumbled.

"Wanna bite?" Two asked.

"No."

"Good, because I wasn't going to share anyways, you'd get your Octo germs all over it."

That's it. Time to change tactics.

"Soooo, I've heard you do a little music on the side when your not busy devastating homes and families."