sunset

quick a/n: this was a double update so make sure you read the previous chapter first!!
-

Your POV

The two of you lost track of time as you wandered hand and hand through town. You talked freely about anything that came to mind, finally having a moment to really get to know each other-in this life, anyway.

From the moment you'd met Tom, you felt a connection to him. It was immediate and unexpected, and you'd almost felt guilty about it considering you barely knew him. But, when you found out about the soul ties, it was as if a light had been switched on. Everything finally made sense.

Despite only having known each other in your current lives for a few days, your souls had been intertwined from before you were even born.

You were literally made to be his and he yours.

You soul had been tied with another's and you were more than happy it had been Tom's.
-
A few hours passed and the sky finally began to darken, marking the end of the wild journey the universe had put you through in order to find each other.

"You don't think we'd have time to sneak into your house and watch the sunset on your roof again, do you?" Tom asked as the beginnings of yellows and oranges began to spread across the sky.

You grimaced, shaking your head, "Not unless you have a way to get past Brad."

"Right. How could I have forgotten about dear Brad." Tom joked. He paused for a moment before saying, "We should go back to that park."

"The park?" You asked skeptically.

"It's kind of symbolic, don't you think? I mean don't ask me how because I'm not exactly sure how it's symbolic," he chuckled through the rest of his words, "but it feels right to end this there."

"Then to the park it is."

You both hurried through the streets in an attempt to beat the sunset, just barely making it to the grassy area outside the playground as the colors in the sky came into full bloom.

Oranges, pinks, and yellows swirled in front of your eyes-more vivid than you'd ever seen them.

"Obviously I've seen sunsets before, but... this one is just so beautiful,"

"It is." Tom agreed with a smile, despite his focus being on you rather than on the sky.

Slowly the colors faded, replaced with star-speckled black. You stood in silence for a moment as the Earth continued its descent into night around you.

You turned to face Tom just as a bright flash erupted between you.

"What the-"

"Crap. What did we do?"

The light faded slowly, and you blinked a few times, dread filling your stomach. When your eyes finally readjusted to the dark night, you let out a sigh of relief. You hadn't switched.

Tom pulled you into a lingering hug, incredulous laughter filling the air.

"We did it." You whispered into the crook of his neck, unable to stop the tears of joy from springing to your eyes.

He cupped your face in his hand, resting his forehead against yours before softly repeating your words back to you, "We did it."

At that, you leaned in. You kissed him slowly, almost as if you were afraid he would disappear if you weren't careful enough. However, when he pulled away for a moment, his three sincere words told you there was nothing to worry about.

Your souls had been intertwined preceding your lifetime and how many ever lifetimes before that. In this life and the last, he loved you and you loved him and that was all that really mattered.

-//-
author's note:

ahhh so i guess the reason i was struggling to write this part in the previous chapter was because it's easier for me to start from a blank page,, all well now you get two chapters! also,, i just realized this book hit 10k reads so thank you so much !!!! i really hope you guys enjoyed the story as much as i enjoyed writing it!!! i do have an epilogue of sorts planned so stay tuned for that but after this chapter the main story is over <33