22. I care about her

Start from the beginning

Kelly was so confused, but decided to keep her mouth shut.

"I told him to leave? What the hell did you want me to do? Ignore him?", Olivia laughed at how ridiculous he was being. Was he jealous? She finally wondered.

"Yes.", he snapped, his tone harsh - and it was the first time Olivia had seen this side of him, directed towards her. She raised a singular brow and Brett's eyes pressed firmly shut, realization dawning on him.

Kelly was sitting right there.

"I don't like the idea of a man climbing through a window and entering my house without my permission. He could have at least used the front door.", he sighed, feeling defeated.

"And that's my fault?", Olivia couldn't stop her anger.

Brett sighed again, his shoulders slumping as he stared across at her. "No.", He finally spoke.

"Thought so.", She snapped. "Goodnight.", She muttered, her gaze finding her mothers with a small smile, before she rose from her seat and disappeared up the stairs.

Brett let his head fall back against the couch, exhaling heavily. He'd never felt so exhausted. Today with John and then seeing Olivia with Connor all night really fucking messed him up. His emotions were all over the place.

One part of him wanted to punch Connor, and the other wanted to punish Olivia.

God knows what the latter would entail.

"What was that?", Kelly breathed, her eyes trained on Brett.

Brett forced his eyes on her - wondering how he'd explain this without gaining her suspicions alongside his explanation. "He's a bad guy, I don't want her to get mixed up with him.", He lies. The truth was that he had no idea what kind of guy Connor was - but he'd done nothing to make Brett believe that he was a bad guy.

But here he was... Lying. Lying to cover up his emotions for Kelly's twenty-year-old daughter.

Brett's POV

"Brett.", Kelly sighed, and my gaze found hers again. My body straightened. "You know that I have known you since you were sixteen, right?", She reminds me. I sigh again and my palm finds the lower half of my face, my fingers rubbing against the stubble.

Fuck, she knows somethings not right.

"I know when you're lying.", She adds, sadly.

I don't know what to say, I can't tell her about how I feel for Olivia - she'd fucking kill me. And rightly so. I'd let her.

My lips parted and my brain knew that I had to speak. I had to say something, but I couldn't think of anything. I couldn't think of anything but Olivia.

Olivia laughing. Olivia smiling. Olivia crying. Olivia frustrated. Olivia angry. Olivia tired. Everything in my mind was Olivia - and I wasn't even mad about it. I should have been. I should have been more worried about Kelly finding out what had happened between me and her daughter, but I just wanted to go and tell Olivia that I was sorry.

Sorry for being a jealous dick. I just wanted to feel her lips against mine, reminding me that we were still okay.

Fuck, I'm such a dick. A selfish prick.

"I care about her.", I finally say, emotions running high.

Kelly's face was one mixed with confusion and one with surprise. "What?", She asked, her voice almost inaudible.

"She's like a niece, she always has been. I care about her and what happens to her.", I lie - I look straight into Kelly's eyes and lie. She sighs at that, chuckling a little to herself.

She finally meets my gaze again, smiling. "She's lucky to have you in her life.", She says.

No. No she's not.

"I'm gonna head up to bed, goodnight Kelly.", I place down my glass and rise to my full height. I lean forward and place a gentle kiss against Kelly's cheek, before heading up the stairs. I should have headed to my own bedroom, but I found myself standing outside of her room.

I knocked.

Only once.

But the door opened.

Olivia wasn't looking at me though, her head was dipped and her eyes were on the floor. She knew it was me and it hurt me to know that I'd caused this sadness. I stare down at her, my breathing rapid. Olivia tries to turn her head away suddenly, as if she was going to disappear into her room and leave me here.

Fuck. That.

I grip her chin, and steer her face gently towards mine. Her head is tilted back slightly, and I can finally take in her beautiful features. Her whole face was swollen and her eyes were glossy and red. Her cheeks puffed and covered in red blotches. Her nose was pink too. She was crying?

I'd done this to her.

She looked up at me with such sadness that I felt my heart sink to the bottom of my chest.

Fucking idiot.

Olivia tries to turn her head away from me, but I swallow and force her back to look at me. Her chin still trapped between my thumb and pointer finger.

My eyes take in her lips, noticing that they were parted and she was breathing heavily too.

And then, full of hatred towards myself, and a desire to see her happy again - I lean down and kiss her.

Hey ladies and gentlemen :) I hope you're enjoying this so far. Please vote and comment, it helps me out a lot. Please and Thank You! :) Do you think Brett getting angry was uncalled for, or justified?