Remus slowly stopped shaking, and his breathing became firmer. He grabbed a tissue from the coffee table and wiped his tears away.

"I don't get why the other sides don't like you." Remus picked up the mug and took another sip.

"That doesn't matter currently. What I want to know is why I wake up in the middle of the night to you crying."

"Well," Remus said, then burst into tears again. Janus sighed.

"Take your time."

Virgil placed a reassuring hand on Remus' shoulder. "We're right here, alright? Even if you did wake us up."

Remus let out a small laugh. "I really like you guys."

Virgil and Janus glanced at each other. "You're too kind," Janus said finally.

"Hey, can I... you know, stay here for tonight?"

"I'm not sure that's a good idea," Janus said, but after seeing Remus' face he caved.

"Alright, but you'll have to sleep on the couch."

"That's- that's fine." Remus shifted and clung to Janus like a child. Janus kept his hand on Remus' head, letting the tears seep through his cape. I'm going to have to clean that later, he thought.

Remus's breathing became slower and deeper, and Janus realized Remus was asleep. He shared a glance with Virgil.

"What do you think happened?"

"He probably got in a fight with Roman, and Roman took it too far."

Janus glanced at the sleeping creativity, then shrugged. "Well, guess I'm stuck here."

Virgil chuckled. "Poor you. I'm going back to my room."

"I thought you said you'd never leave me," Janus teased.

"I think you can handle one night. Besides, Remus can keep you warm."

Janus bit back a smile as Remus turned his head, muttering something in his sleep.

"Goodnight Virgil."

"Goodnight."

.. ._.. ___ .._ . _.__ ___ .._

Remus awoke on the couch, the scaly side fast asleep beside him. Remus yawned, feeling much better than last night. That little brat Roman was going to pay for everything he said. He stood up and walked away from the couch, careful not to disturb the sleeping side. With a pang, Remus realized he still didn't know what to call the snake boy. He'd figure that out, after he murdered his brother.

As he stepped into the kitchen, he found it in turmoil. Patton noticed him and gave him a huge hug. "Remus! Remus, where have you been?"

Remus shrugged, trying to come up with an excuse. "Having fun in the imagination."

Roman hugged Remus next. "I'm so sorry, Remus, I shouldn't have yelled at you. When you didn't show up at our room last night, I was so worried."

Remus' thoughts of hurting Roman instantly dissolved as he hugged Roman back. "It's alright Roman."

"How about breakfast?" Patton asked finally.

"Okay," Remus said and sat down at the table. He told an elaborate story of what he'd been doing in the imagination. He thought about telling them about the other sides, but something just felt wrong. Like if he told the light sides, he'd be stuck there with the dark sides too. Not that he didn't like the other two. He just felt that those two weren't happy where they were.

"Hey, Patton?"

"Yeah, kiddo?"

"Do you think you have any extra hot chocolate?"

"Um, yeah, why?"

"Just asking."

They continued their conversation, and Remus enjoyed the warmth and familial comfort, but he kept feeling like things were off. Everything was so perfect and beautiful, and the dark sides had none of it. It wasn't fair. They deserved this too, and Remus was going to make sure they got it.

.. ._.. ___ .._ . _.__ ___ .._

When everyone was asleep, Remus snuck downstairs to the kitchen, searching in the pantry until he found a box of hot chocolate. There were already four, and Remus felt sure the light sides wouldn't miss one box. He also grabbed a few candy bars, as well as a package of strawberries. He wasn't sure the dark sides had access to fresh fruit. He crept down the dark hallway and entered the living room, where he found the two dark sides sitting on the couch, playing a board game.

"Hi guys!" Remus called, and the two sides jumped.

"Remus, what the hell are you doing here? Again?" the boy in the hoodie asked.

"I brought you food!"

The snake boy sighed. "While I thank you, really Remus, you need to go."

"Why are you guys always like this?" Remus said with a pout.

"Remus, we're dead serious," the boy in the hoodie pressed.

"Fine, but first you have to give me something to call you by.

The two glanced between each other. "Just... don't tell anyone our names, okay?" the snake boy said.

"Okay!"

"Well, I'm... Janus. I represent deceit and self-care. And uh, if he wants," Janus glanced at the boy in the hoodie.

The boy in the hoodie paused, clearly unsure how to respond. "Virgil," he finally grunted. "I'm paranoia and anxiety."

Remus grinned. "I can already tell we're going to be great friends."

"No, we are not, because you're not coming back," Janus corrected. "Now go."

Remus sat the snacks on the coffee table and waved goodbye. "See you soon!"

"Stay out of here, Remus!" Virgil growled.

Remus bounded away, knowing he was still coming back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1343 words

Take it easy guys, gals, and nonbinary pals

Late NightsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara