Chapter 4

(Episode 530 - 531)

"What do you mean, Shiori?" The inspector asked.

"Things like 'mouth tearing woman' and 'the dog with human face' are just embellished scary stories." The woman explained remembering her own past on the back of her head.

"Right! Similar to the hammer man who runs 100 meters in 11 seconds and the giant man who is above 180 cm in height." Conan added, "All are just exaggerations to scare people."

Detective Takagi looked taken aback, "How do you know about such old stories, Conan?"

Conan looked at Shiori, "Nee-san told me."

Although I did tell him as bedtime stories to make him cry.

"But Conan-kun and Shiori, unlike the mouth tearing woman and the dog with human face, the hammer man has four real victims. You can't just say it's fictional."

"I'm saying that the one who attack ladies with long hair is just a random bad person. We don't really know if he was the hammer man or not." Conan tried to explain further and gazed at the woman beside him for help.

"What Conan-kun meant was we had been completely manipulated by the urban legend."

"But Shiori-san, if the hammer man is just an urban legend, then how do you explain that there was a man knocked down in this apartment?" Detective Sato went forward.

"Exactly," followed by Detective Chiba, "Judging from the situation, one of the three who visited this apartment must have knocked down the hammer man because he's holding a grudge against him."

Then Detective Takagi recited what was written on his notebook about the three suspects and their order of entry to the apartment.

"Then now we're aware that it would be the express delivery man who came first can leave the paper for instructions, right?" Shiori explained, "We are also aware that the next two deliveries could get rid of the first and second visitor's receipts?"

"Yes, you just summarized it up Shiori," Inspector Megure looks confused and impatient. 

"Which means that the one who left the memo and got rid of the receipts is the hammer man who was in this room." She tried to prolong it further, trying to make them figure out.

"It's true that he could have left the memo paper, but why does he have to get rid of the receipts?"

"Other than seeing the price of what we bought, we could also use it to check the shop. The culprit doesn't want the police to contact the shops to ask if they were the right people and see if he hasn't switched himself with one of them."

"Switch?" Detective Takagi was surprised.