"Anyway, call Jack and tell him about Piper's."

"Okay, I will."

****

Jack was all for going to Piper's on the same night I'd be there with Brennan. He rounded up a few of his friends to go there for dinner and to play some pool. He suggested he drive me and for me to tell Brennan I would meet him there, claiming that since I didn't really know Brennan yet it might not be a good idea for him to know where I live and then be alone in a car with him if he ended up being a psycho. I tried to reason that Paris knows him so he can't be that dangerous, but that didn't seem like a selling point for Jack.

"Okay, fine, I'll tell him I'll meet him there. But we can't walk in together or else he'll know you brought me."

"Fine, whatever," he acquiesced.

I brought over a meal I cooked ahead of time to Luke's that evening so I could go back home and get ready for my date. Beautifying myself takes time. At least that's what I tell myself....and Luke when he asked why I was in a hurry. According to him I don't need to spend that much time getting ready, I already look great, but he's just being nice. And a guy who doesn't know any better.

****

I walked in to Piper's a few minutes before Jack, instructing him to wait 3 minutes before leaving his car and heading in. Piper's had dim lighting, dark wood walls, wood tables, and leather couches and loveseats. There were big flat screen tvs and fireplaces around the whole large space. I looked around to see if I could spot Brennan, but I didn't see him immediately. I was about to call or text him, I wasn't sure which I should do, when I felt a hand on my elbow. I turned and was happy to see Brennan standing right behind me.

I looked up at Brennan, who towered over me by a good 7 or 8 inches, his blonde hair looking lighter against the dark lighting and furnishings of the environment. He had a little bit of stubble on his face and looked so cute leaving me almost speechless.

"Hey, you look great," he gave me a hug.

I tucked my hair behind my ear. "Thanks," I smiled and blushed a bit. I fidgeted with the hem of my denim jacket that I wore over my coral and white chevron maxi dress.

"Our table is ready, come on," he took my hand and led me to the back corner where a round table sat next to a fireplace.

A few people looked at us as we walked by and it gave me a small thrill inside to be seen with Brennan. Not just seen with him, but to be walking hand in hand with him. I've never been the kind of girl to seek popularity, but I don't know - there was a certain excitement about being with Brennan and having people look at me in awe or jealousy or even like I sort of belonged amongst them. Him leading me by the hand to our table felt like I was actually being let into the in-crowd.

I sat down and tried to not let my nerves show. "So what's good here?" I asked while I flipped open the menu and kept my eyes down, scanning the food choices. I was too nervous to look at Brennan and make eye contact.

"Honestly, everything is great here. But, I'm not a picky eater."

"Neither am I, which is good because food is basically my life," I chuckled.

"Oh right, you mentioned that you work for your mom's catering business, right?"

"Yup. I want to be a chef, so this is good practice."

"That's so cool. I like to consider myself a foodie, but don't ask me to cook for you. It will only end badly," he laughed.

"You can't be that bad!"