Ch. 17

"Shut the front door," Anna squealed and almost slammed on her brakes.

Brennan and I have been texting and talking on the phone the past few days and he asked me out to dinner. I could hardly believe it and as soon as that text came through, I dropped my phone on my floral comforter and started running around my room to expend some of the excitement and bursting energy from my body.

Once I had jumped up and down multiple times and danced around my room, I plopped myself on my bed and picked up the phone.

"That would be great!" I casually texted back. Thank god, he can't see me.

"So where is he taking you?"

"Piper's."

Piper's is a super trendy restaurant and lounge that you don't have to be 21 to enter. It's got food, game rooms, couches and seats for lounging complete with fireplaces. The game rooms aren't arcade games or Chuck E. Cheese games. There are tables for board games and also rooms for more "sophisticated" games like pool and cards. No skee ball or air hockey there.

It's also a big hang out for Ridge Falls elites and all the prep and private school kids. I've been once or twice before with Jack to hang out with some of his school friends, but he doesn't go there often and I'd never think to go without him.

"You should have Jack go there with his friends too. Just to have someone there in case you need it," Anna advised.

"I don't want Jack spying or worse, chaperoning my date!"

"He doesn't have to be watching you! Just in the same building. You don't even really know this Brennan guy that well and you only met him once. What if he tries to kidnap you?! Or what if he's a huge jerk in person? Wouldn't you like to have Jack nearby?"

I hate when she's right.

"I guess you make some good points," I replied reluctantly.

"Look, I get it, you're excited about him and that would make anyone want to dive in head first. But, as your best friend, it's my job to look out for you when you're not thinking clearly or you know blinded by loooooove," she teased .

"Oh please, you just said I hardly know him, I can't be in looooove with him," I swatted her arm at the red light.

"I'm just teasing," she laughed. "Do you think Paris told him to ask you out?"

"I don't know. I don't even know if she ended up asking him about me like she said she was going to. She doesn't really have a reason to want to help me out."

"Yeah, she does."

"Why would she want to help me out with a guy?"

"So you stay away from hers, duh."

"There's nothing going on between me and Luke so what would she be keeping me away from exactly?"

"It doesn't need to make sense. Besides even if you claim there's nothing between you two, that doesn't mean nothing could happen and she doesn't want that. And even if nothing ever happens between you two, she is probably threatened by you guys being friends. But if you're busy with your own boo then she doesn't need to worry as much."

"True. But Paris is a self-centered bitch. The last thing she would want is to see me happy with a guy."

"The last thing she wants is to see you happy with her guy."

I couldn't argue with that. It made a lot of sense. It was in Paris' best interest to get me away from Luke. Even us just being friends is threatening to her.