Chapter 14

"Are you sure about this?" Thor towered over me in the small waiting room, and even though he was the only other person in there, he took up a lot of space.

        "Kayla, you can always back out of this."

        "Relax," I said firmly, pulling my desired dress out of my bag. His eyes widened at the full-body covering.

        "All he will be able to see is  my eyes. And I'll remember to keep them away from him. I wouldn't be so worried."

        Thor sighed, and then scratched his neck. "I suppose so. But be careful. If anyone finds out-"

        "I'll make sure they don't." I interrupted, stepping behind the changing curtain. Awkward silence hung around us as we both fell silent. I climbed into the black pants, and was relieved to find that they were the right length. They fell to my ankles, but that wasn't a problem; I had black socks and simple black slips to wear over my feet. I pulled the loose long-sleeved black shirt over my head and down over my arms. The sleeves were so long that my hands wouldn't show beneath them.

        "Do you know who your opponent is?" Thor suddenly broke the air. I stepped back out and just shook my head.

        "I just want to get this over with. I'm not quitting!" I said quickly, when I saw Thor open his mouth. He huffed.

        "It wouldn't be quitting, it would be... respectively declining." 

        "Same difference." I pulled my hair into a bun and then reached down, grabbing the headdress and placing it on my head as well. It fit firmly in place. All I now needed to do was pull the cover up and clip it into place over my nose, and I was ready to go. I glanced at the garb in the mirror, making sure that there were no open spots .

        "You still have ten minutes." Thor had opened the door slightly to look at the huge timer above the arena, and now he pulled his head back in, shutting it behind him.

        "I thought you should know," He started. I looked up at him.

        "Your father was sighting crossing the borders." I straightened. 

"Which borders-how far away were they?"

        "Not far enough," he replied. He lowered his voice. "He's getting closer, Kayla. You are still linked to the weapon that he once yielded. He needs it back in order to become more powerful, defeat whatever is chasing him." I hesitated, and then figured I had nothing to lose. "Was my mother with him?" Thor remained silent, but in his silence, I found my answer.

        "They will reach Earth before they reach Asgard."

        "Is Earth safe?"

        "I will personally be protecting it when he comes by."

"I need to go back to Earth. You need to take me back." Thor shook his head at my words, but I had no intention of taking any answer other than what I wanted. If he didn't take me back, I'd find a way back myself. 

"And let you become a hostage? What happens when you're used against them because you didn't had the resources of knowledge to evade them? We don't even know what you're running from yet." I didn't have a good response to that. Just then a knock came from the door.

        "All residence out!" 

        Thor opened the door to a young man, who motioned for us to follow him. He led us through a large crowd of people, many of whom glanced at my odd dress but didn't question it. They were probably used to weird articles of clothing by now. We were led to another small room, this one much different than the previous. It had one door, which led outside, and the other, a large steel contraption, that led to the arena. Thor told the assistant that he would be out in a second. The man looked annoyed, but I figured that because it was Thor, he was allowed to do this.