𝖝𝖝𝖎𝖎𝖎. 𝖆 𝖘𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖗'𝖘 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖒𝖎𝖘𝖊!

☆。*。☆。
★。\|/。★

xxiii. a sister's
promise!

★。/|\。★
☆。*。☆。

♥✎ ✲❁✰❄✫✾✹✾✷❂✷✬✶❄✲ 🐙ൠ

"Anya! Anya, wake up!"

The Shadow Summoner groaned, feeling the thumping ache behind her temples. Slowly, she peeled one eye open and focused in on Inej's hovering face. "Already?" she grumbled. In the past, Anya had gone days without sleeping, even managing to train herself to sleep standing up, or with one eye open.

Inej handed her a cup of steaming liquid and Anya stared down at it with a grimace. "I've missed you dearly Inej, but if this is tea- "

"It's coffee," Inej smiled warmly. "How's your chest."

Anya took Inej's outstretched hand and sat up with a small wince. "Not too bad. Grisha like me heal fast. Hurts to laugh, though."

"Stay away from Jesper and you'll be fine," Inej said with a chuckle. Anya rubbed at her eyes and turned to stare at Jesper's sleeping body with a grimace. The boy's mouth was hanging wide open, loud snores filling the otherwise relatively quiet room. Nina and Matthias were beginning to get up and prepare for their job; Kaz, Wylan and Kuwei sat in a line at the table, sorting through a series of papers and plans. Anya pulled the dark coat around her body and slowly got to her feet, testing her pain threshold.

"Ah, I should be fine," she grunted, hiding her wince as she limped after Inej to make Nina's tea. "I've had worse. I'm ready to go."

Inej gave her a warning glance. "You're supposed to be taking it easy, Anya."

Anya shrugged and downed her coffee in one. "It's good to have you back, Inej."

"It's good to be back," Inej smiled. "Much better company around here."

Anya wasn't too sure, staring down at Jesper's snoring form. She crouched down with a groan and prodded him in the cheek. "Wake up, you overgrown lump of a tree trunk."

"I'm much too skinny to be a tree trunk," he mumbled into his cushion.

"Not if we're talking palm trees," Anya shrugged, and cruelly pulled the blanket from his body, ignoring Jesper's sharp cry of protest. "Oh, don't be a baby!"

"You're a baby," Jesper grunted and pulled sharply at her hair. Anya stuck out her tongue and limped away to slump down into a seat at the table. Her hand shot out to steal a roll off of Kuwei's plate and sunk her teeth into it. "Morning boys."

If she hadn't been able to tell the identical boys apart before, she sure could now. The one on the right gave her a radiant smile, whilst the one on the left stared at her with wide, scared eyes, mourning the loss of his breakfast. "You should be sleeping," Kaz told her stiffly, voice strained in a peculiar way she'd never heard from him.