Chapter 7- Bonfires to Burgers

Start from the beginning

Cyrus came around the bench and stood on the side, considering Declan and Adam were taking up literally all of the space.

"Well she was pretty, and she was nice." He sounded like he had more to say.

"Buuut?"

"But I'm trying to figure out a nice way of saying she's an airhead? It was really hard to hold a conversation."

"Hey I love airheads. Where's she at?" Adam shot up.

"Down boy." Declan grabbed his arm and guided him back to a sitting position. Then, he looked at Cyrus and gave him a little head nod. "What's up Cyrus? I guess we haven't officially met. I'm Declan and this is Adam."

"Actually, Adam and I kind of met. I don't know if you count socking someone in the jaw an official introduction though."

"I'd count it," I said, at the same time Adam said, "It felt official to me," while rubbing his jaw at the memory of it.

"Sorry I guess. But, you charged at me first."

"You tackled my team captain to the ground. You know what people usually call my actions in that moment? Loyalty." He pumped his chest at his last words.

"Hey, where were you that night?" I quietly asked Declan to the side. I feel like I would have remembered seeing him on the field.

"Benched for a red card," he shrugged.

"Your captain fractured my nose first," Cyrus continued.

"Oh shit, I didn't know that. But now he's your captain too!" He said brightly.

Cyrus made a face at that. "Don't remind me."

"Duncan's an ass sometimes. I wouldn't fall for it though, I think it's a front he likes to put up. You know, to act tough and all," Declan said.

"I'd like an iced coffee now." Duncan, Dunkin, same shit.

"And I would like some food, so how about we go find some?"

"Jimmy's?" I asked hopefully. It was the diner Cyrus and I always went to, the one he took me to after his soccer tryouts.

"Who's that?" Adam asked and Declan gave me a blank expression to match his words.

"Cyrus, it's time to educate these boys. But first, I'll be right back."

I wanted to find Natalie and let her know I was leaving, maybe to see if she wanted to come with us too. I spotted her quickly, it looked like she was walking away from something and she looked frustrated.

"Hey Natalie, are you okay?"

She looked at me and it looked like she wanted to cry. Then she threw her hands around me and hugged me tightly.

"Boys are stupid, and I think it's a tragedy I wasn't born a lesbian," she cried over my shoulder. It was the most relatable thing anyone has ever said to me.

"Do you need a distraction?" I asked as we pulled away. "I'm going to get food with my friends, you should come."

"I don't think I'll be very good company tonight. I'm just going to go home, but thanks for the offer." She gave me a weak little smile.

"Are you sure? It'll be fun and you can meet my friend Cyrus." She looked to be considering it over. I didn't think she really wanted to be alone tonight.

"Hey, you almost left me with the stooges," Cyrus said coming up from behind me.

"The stooges are a group of three, I'm sure they're taking applications. You'll fit right in!"