Chapter 10 - Map.

Jeanette and Simon ushered the two green-clad and lime-clad out of the room.

"Let's try and solve the second-last clue by ourselves." Jeanette announced. She felt a weird surge of confidence with Eleanor near her.

"I- what- why?" stuttered Theodore.

"Haven't you seen them two fighting over the smallest things, Theodore?" Simon said, eyeing his youngest brother.

"Well, why not?" Eleanor agreed indirectly.

"O-oh fine." Theodore caved in reluctantly.

***

"According to the note, the tree is over.. Here!"

They approached a sturdy tree, many feeble branches hanging down with the weight of several amber leaves.

Attached to it, was a note.

No, not a note. A map. A familiar map..

"Miss Croner's map?"

"Seems like it. We better tell Alvin and Brittany." said Jeanette.

As if timed, Theodore's phone rang.

"He-"

"Where are you?!" Alvin's voice roared through the phone.

"Solving the next clue," blabbed Theodore by accident.

"Without us?! Why-"

"You were arguing."

"So?!"

"We weren't gonna ju-"

"Forget it. Come back, Dave wants you to be here in time for dinner."

" 'kay."

***

"Solved it?" asked Brittany bitterly.

"Yes. We got to Miss Croner's map." answered Jeanette.

"Her map?"

"The one with the China doll that cost a fortune." Alvin explained grimly. He always regretted not accepting her doll as a reward.

"Oh, that."

"When can we do it? Actual exams are piling up; we need to study." Jeanette said.

"We've got a week until the exams, and half our afternoons will be just studying. Actually, more than half." Simon stated.

Alvin groaned.

"What if we do it after the exams?" Theodore suggested.

"I don't know if I can go that long." Eleanor spoke for the first time in their conversation.

"Neither do I." Simon admitted.

"There's got to be some time-" Alvin started.

"When, if you're so clever?" Brittany demanded.

"Well," said Jeanette loudly before Alvin could retort, "we'll have to see."

"I guess." replied Simon, making to so that it was unnatural for Alvin to argue back to Brittany's words.

***

A week passed; the exams passed too. Alvin didn't fail, but didn't do so well either. Simon passed will full marks effortlessly, like Jeanette. Theodore passed with a good score, as did Eleanor and Brittany. Dave had received the test scores online and congratulated them; which also meant they couldn't use the excuse of exams to have spare time with the chipettes, which resulted in refining to free periods at school or when Dave was out.

***

"Dave's out for a few hours," said Alvin, who was grinning broadly, "and it's a surprise too, he's been babying us for the past few days."

"Wel-" started Simon.

"Save it, Einstein. Let's call the chipettes over."

Simon went to the kitchen, and discovered Theodore gobbling up a new packet of MiniMuffins, shoving as much as he could in his mouth, his cheeks bulging.

"Theodore!!"

"Oh- uhm, hi Simon-"

Simon went over and snatched the packet away from him and peeked inside only two quarters were gone, Theodore wasn't at it for too long.

"So uhm, anyway.." Alvin said awkwardly, "I'm just gonna call the chipettes-"

"You do that." Simon said gruffly. "Theodore.."

As Simon lectured the youngest brother, Alvin called Brittany, hoping she was there.

Fortunately, she picked up.

"Hey Alvin," said Brittany.

"Hey Britt. Hey guys. Dave's out, we can go retrieve our journals."

"Okay, we'll be over in 10."

The call carried on in awkward silence for a few moments, nobody hanging up until Alvin finally decided to hang up and put his phone down.

"Finally." Alvin complained, opening the door to the three sisters.

"We said 10 minutes, and we're here." Brittany protested indignantly.

"Whatever. Come in."  

He pushed the door wider, making space for the chipettes to pass through.

"Here's the map," said Theodore, indicating a slightly creased piece of paper.

Jeanette peered at it.

"Shouldn't be hard, considering we've been there before. How long will Dave be out?"

"Probably 3 hours." Simon answered. "Should we get going?"

Everyone nodded eagerly, the thought of being reunited with their deepest secrets written down on paper, and discover who stole then and why, flooded their minds.

They meandered around the busy roads and eventually arrived at the forest. They walked through the forest, passing the variety of trees and bushes, chatting on the way.

***

"This is it.." said Theodore, staring at the tree. "Anything anyone wants to say before we find out?"

"Well, I'm impressed." Simon said thoughtfully, to general surprise.

"Me too." Jeanette agreed. Simon smiled at her.

Theodore threw a stick at the tree, and the trap opened up.

There were banners everywhere, indicating victory, in one certain colour. One certain colour we all know who loves. A certain colour they all knew too well. A certain colour that easily reminded then if a certain someone..

Green.