12. O'Connor & Company

Start from the beginning

George had maybe said five words to the guy in his lifetime, but even that was too much for his liking. He was thankful they weren't in the same year at school but having to see him on the Quidditch field was still terrible.

It was shocking to everyone when his younger sister was placed in Gryffindor, but the siblings couldn't be more different. Cosette had a fire to her, that was undeniable, but at least she had a heart. The same couldn't be said about her brother.

They never spoke at school either. Granted, they weren't in the same year or the same house but even if they passed each other in the hallways, George noticed that two acted like the other didn't exist. He never questioned it, but he always wondered what the family dynamic was like when they returned home for the summer or christmas holidays.

Maybe there was a reason why she spent so much time at the Burrow after meeting Fred.

"What's he doing here?" George spat out.

"Paying his respects, it looks like," Percy shrugged his shoulders. "You know, we can't just all stand here and stare at him. He's going to notice."

"Should I say something to him?" George asked no one in particular as they all chose to ignore Percy's suggestion.

"If you do, can you get his autograph for me?" Ron piped up, earning a slap on the back of the head from George.

"Ron, you don't ask for someone's autograph when they're grieving," Harry scolded him.

"Is he grieving though?" Percy squinted as well. "He's just standing there."

Ron groaned as he felt around the pockets on his jacket, "I haven't got any quills on me,"

"Do you ever have any quills on you?" Harry raised his eyebrows at him out of genuine curiosity.

"What would you even say?" Bill added on, ignoring the pointless bickering coming from the other guys. "It's a bit weird that he's here, though. He never even participated in the battle. Who would he have lost? And it's not like he's over here mourning over Fred either."

George knew that Fred had more of a relationship with Nicholas. He had gone over to Cosette's childhood home a handful of times and undoubtedly met her father and her brother, probably even got to know them on a more personal level.

But he never bothered to speak about his interactions with Nicholas to George. And George couldn't stand the guy so he never bothered to ask. The extent of their relationship was unknown.

"Oi, Ron, when he leaves go check out who's gravesite that is," Harry nudged him on the back.

"What? Why me?"

"Or you could go now and get his autograph," George taunted him with a chuckle, but none of them had a chance to add to the conversation because Nicholas lifted his head up and looked in their exact direction.

Immediately, the group of them averted their gaze in different directions. Percy rolled his eyes and muttered a faint, "I told you so," before heading back to where his parents stood.

"I guess I have to say something now," George answered his own question with an exhale as Nicholas began to make his way over to them. Harry patted him on the back supportingly before him and Ron stepped away. Bill was the only one who stayed at his side up until the very last second.

He was dressed in all black, which was fitting given the day. George watched as he glanced around, nodding at people who he recognized, even offering a sliver of a smile to some until he approached George.