Xanthy nodded. Inwardly, she cursed. She made Marin use magic when she didn't even ask how much reserves the girl had. Way to go, Xanthy. "Let go," she turned behind her expecting to find the black-clad men. They were alone for a whole corridor and a corner. Perhaps, they manage to lose them. "It is alright."

Marin exhaled. "Release containment," she whispered. Nothing noteworthy happened. Then, June's legs buckled underneath him. Xanthy's heart stopped.

"Hey, June," Xanthy called. She set him down on the ground and pried his tunic up. Blood continued to flow from a seep, swollen cut along his ribs. Oh, gods.

"Marin," Xanthy swallowed against the lump growing on her throat. "The word is rectify."

Marin scoffed. "I am out of magic—"

"Now!" Xanthy screamed. Marin flinched.

Oh.

Xanthy averted her gaze and pressed her hands against June's wound. It didn't matter if his blood stained her fingers. "I'm sorry," she whispered. Tears stung her eyes and she didn't wipe them away. "Just...help me. Please."

Marin crouched and laid her hand against Xanthy's. "Rectify," the girl whispered. Xanthy exhaled in relief as light poured from Marin's fingers and wrapped around June's skin.

Then, Marin withdrew her hand and the wound was still there. If anything, it started bleeding faster. Xanthy's eyes widened. "I don't understand. Why..."

"You can't heal this," came June's sputtering reply. He curled into a fetal position with a groan. "Dwarven metal. It resists magic."

"Don't talk," Xanthy snapped. "Save your strength."

June snorted. "I won't make it out," he shook his head against the ground. "Leave me."

A stone dropped in Xanthy's gut. She scowled. "Not a chance," she hissed. "You'll come with me."

June's eyelids fluttered shut. He chuckled softly. "Thought so."

His body fell limp.

Xanthy called his name. Once. Twice. He didn't move.

"Xanthy, where to?" Marin asked, glancing behind them. Shadows bearing the likeness of the men chasing them edged from the corner they just turned.

"Kill the lights," Xanthy ordered. She hefted June and herself up, ignoring the flare of pain shooting up her ankle. "Come on."

The footsteps behind them came alive.

It dawned on Nyxis why no one had used spells until now

Spells rained in a torrent at the Knights surrounding them, a bald woman named Nadia at the lead. From the corner of Nyxis's vision, one of the twins grunted as he pulled his brother out of the battlefield. The Knights scattered, most cowering under the hail of unexpected spells.