The varichria dug around her armor until she drew out the timeteller. Her features dropped into a frown. "Half and a quarter of an hour."

Xanthy blew a breath. Still a long way to go. She slung her bow over her shoulder. "Everybody, follow me," she strode towards Marin and took the girl's hand. "We take the stairs."

"Oh, this is interesting," a weak but amused voice rang from behind the ring of Civil Knights at the base of the stairs. Adresin wiped the corner of his mouth with the back of his hand. A grin made his lips curl. "Highly interesting, indeed."

Xanthy unslung her bow and aimed an arrow at him. "Do you want another taste of this?"

"Shoot me again and you will regret it," the prince hissed. He had his hand bracing his injured shoulder. Blood dripped from his fingers. "Although, I will forgive you this one time if you choose to come with me peacefully."

"What?" Xanthy's eyebrows met. "What are you talking about?"

Adresin brushed his hair off his forehead much like how Nyxis did it. "I never thought this opportunity would come yet here you are, in the flesh," he gestured at her. "The Queen requests an audience with the one and only Virtakios, of course."

A breeze of shock swept over the dungeon.

"What is he saying, Xanthy?" Reeca gripped Xanthy's arm. "Who is the Virtakios?"

Xanthy's throat developed a heartbeat. Her grip tightened on the shaft of her bow. "Me," she hissed. She angled her bow towards the prince again. His decorated gold armor had never pissed her more than this moment. "Your Queen will not get what she wants. We have places to go."

Adresin chuckled. "Like that massive army outside the Palace you got going?"

Xanthy's stomach sank. How did he...?

The prince threw his head back and laughed at Xanthy's shock. "We have been monitoring suspicious movement across the territory for months now," he waved his arm. "It is only a matter of time before rebellion forces seeking to end the dynasty come knocking at our doors."

"And look, my little brother is with them as well," Adresin's eyes flicked towards Nyxis who shrank against Xanthy. "As much as it pains me to see you alive, I really do want you to stay dead as the reports say. I could not have you trying to usurp the throne from me again."

"Shut up, Adresin," Nyxis snarled. "I never cared about your stupid throne or this freaking godsforsaken hole."

"As you say, brother," Adresin rolled his eyes. He plucked Xanthy's arrow off his shoulder as if it was a lint dusting his suit and tossed it aside. "My patience has run out," he raised his hand at his men. "Kill everyone except the Brownie."

Xanthy had a moment to think Brownie? before the Civil Knights roared as one and charged at them.

"Stairs, now!" Xanthy yanked Marin's hand and pulled the girl straight into the converging line of soldiers. Reeca rose up with her sword going against the net shooters first. Gods, that girl could keep grudges.

Xanthy shoved Marin in front of her. "Keep running!" She drew an arrow from her quiver and shot a soldier coming for Marin. "Do not look back!"

The air turned electric as Nyxis and June yelled the same spell at once. Light flashed in Xanthy's periphery just as she loosed another arrow. A soldier grunted, stumbling backwards while clutching his leg.

Xanthy cursed. If not for the restrictions, she would have killed these people a thousand times over. Sadly, her bow was made of magic and one cannot use magic for murder. If she wanted to kill, she would have to choke the lights out of each and every one.