"I wanted to thank you for being very kind to me. I have never had a friend like you before," I smiled shyly getting on my tippy toes and placing a soft kiss on his cheek. It was stubbly and rough.

Mr. Reed looked pale when I pulled away and I noticed the thick hair on his arms sticking up. I think I may have messed up. I've never had a lot of experience with friends before. I felt my skin feel hot when he looked down at me. 

"Um... I- sorry," I mumbled quietly, looking down at the floor. 

"You only need apologize when you've been bad, Amara," he said. He leaned down and pressed his pink lips on the top of my head. 

"Oh.. okay," I smile at him, "anyway, I am pretty tired, Mr. Reed, so goodnight."

Mr. Reed hums quietly and returns to the sink. He starts filling it up with soap and hot water to wash the dirty plates.

⛧*┈┈┈┈﹤୨♡୧﹥ ┈┈┈┈*⛧

Today was Sunday. The first official day of winter, too. I had been staying with Mr. Reed for a week now. I missed my family a lot. My parents hadn't contacted me, so I had been charging my phone constantly waiting to hear from them. 

It was morning, and I was laying in bed refusing to get out. Scraps was hiding behind my legs trying to get warm. She was so cute.

I yawned and while stretching out my arms, my fingers made contact with a soft toy. I rubbed my eyes and sat up to look at it. It was a Care Bear teddy. Tenderheart Bear was his name. He had a little ticket attached to a ribbon around his neck.

Someone else other than that cat to keep you company. I have missed a lot of work recently, so I have a lot of catching up to do. 

I smiled and carefully slipped out of bed. Scraps lifted her head and looked mad that I had moved. 

"Sorry, my baby," I mumbled, leaning down and kissing the top of her head. 

I scooped up my orange bear and carried him towards the kitchen. I placed him on the stool and walked around the island towards the fridge to get milk, and then the cupboards to get cereal. 

I ate quickly before cleaning up. I've never loved a toy more than this little bear that Mr. Reed has given me. I should bake him something so he knows how much I appreciate him!

I was very familiar with basic recipes for muffins, cupcakes, and other sorts of sweets. I made them all the time from how much I was locked in the house when I was younger. My parents didn't approve of me going out a lot, so I decided learning a new skill would benefit me. 

The problem now was deciding what to make him. I knew that Mr. Reed liked blueberries, so maybe some blueberry muffins? I looked at Tenderheart Bear and I think he agreed with me. 

I quickly brushed my teeth and my hair. I bunched it up and tied it so it was out of my face. I then went into the kitchen and grabbed all the ingredients I needed. I struggled to find a muffin tray, but eventually spotted it hidden at the back of his pots and pans cupboard.

It took me around fifteen minutes to mix the batter, and forty minutes for them to bake in the oven. I would need to wait a long time before tasting them. I set the timer on the microwave and wiped up the table. I had quickly learned early on that Mr. Reed didn't like messes.

When I went into my room, Scraps had moved position. My phone was sat on the bedside table. It was lighting up constantly, with messages and phonecalls loading constantly on the screen. 

I had twelve missed calls from Mr. Reed and lots of texts. I called him back instantly. When he picked up the phone, I could hear the pads of his feet move quickly on the concrete and a car door slam shut. 

"I am on my way back home. My mother is coming over for a surprise visit, which isn't much of a surprise since she just called me about it. I hope you are dressed and ready for the day," he told me. His car was driving fast in the background. He didn't seem happy she was visiting.

"Oh... I, um —thank you for the bear," I mumbled. I was nervous to meet his mom. I was also embarrassed that the muffins that were in the oven weren't finished yet. 

"See you soon," Mr. Reed said quickly before hanging up. I plugged my phone back in and scratched my baby's head. She purred and nuzzled against my hand.