39. All this love

Start from the beginning

I giggled on the sigh and threw him a goodbye kiss.

"Clara."

I turned back from the doorway hearing my name.

"Take care, please." He said quietly.

"Oh I will," I nodded and left him.

Joe was much more fun than I thought based on my experiences at dinner. He was funny and had amazing stories he shared with me on our way to the beach. It took us some time to get there since Joe wanted to take me to a safer part - the beach close to the Ricciardo house was pretty rough and only advised to surf by experienced people. So we took the road and spent an hour talking about our lives. I also told him about my life in England before Formula 1.

"It might be so different for you now," he was thinking loudly. "All the rush and excitement from before is switched to airport lounges and giving mandatory vaccinations to crew members."

"Well it has its perks," I smiled but said no more. If I thought about all the people I got to know in this circus, I was sure I wouldn't trade it to anything else. I saw Joe smirked to himself and took a last turn to the beach. As I saw the waves and the people riding them my stomach flipped and I took a deep breath.

Joe not only was a great talking partner but was a great teacher too. He was patient and explained what I should have done pretty well. I tried so bad but failed to stand on the board countless times. But I enjoyed every minute of our multiple hours long session. The feeling of the sliding surfboard beneath me was incredible. Also was the big splash that came after, as I fell off. Every time I surfaced with a loud laugh.

"Okay, I think we had enough fun for today," Joe said as he checked his watch. "We should be getting ready for the party."

"Sure," I agreed. "It was incredible, thank you Joe!" I thanked him cheerfully, as I turned to leave.

"We can continue next time you're here," he winked. I honestly got surprised, since it never occured to me - this place, with Daniel, is something I could and might be glad to come back to. I was missing this thought for a long time now, honestly I never felt like that when I was with Charles, nor with my previous boyfriend.

"Lost in thought, eh?" Joe dragged me back to Earth from daydreaming. He was driving like his son, overtaking every car we came across, but seemed easy and cheerful at the same time. I nodded still a bit absentmindedly. I examined my dried yet sunkissed skin on my arms, and my now wavy hair. God bless beach waves! I smiled, and turned back to the scenery. The silence between the two of us for the rest of the way wasn't heavy at all.

We got back nearly the same time as Daniel and Grace were finished with the shopping. He was helping to bring in all the groceries, but completely forgot about the remaining bags when he saw his father's car parking down.

"Hey," he was at the door in a millisecond, and opened it just to examine me throughly with his eyes.

"Hello," I smiled. "Don't worry, I am in one piece."

"She's a natural! Did wonderfully," Joe barked behind me, and I saw some proudness taking over the worry in Daniel's look.

"I'm not..."

"Awesome," he grinned, and even helped me out of the car, his hands never leaving mine. "I...," he started and leaned closer. "I missed you," he murmured into my hair and hugged me long.

I thought this morning couldn't be nicer, but now, it was perfect.

~~~

"I don't know Max," I heard the conversation behind the bathroom door. I was almost ready, only my lipstick and mascara was missing. I wore a cute colorful summer dress - it was the perfect piece to wear for a barbecue party if you ask me. I blessed my wit to pack things like that. I couldn't help but my head snapped to the direction of Daniel's voice when I heard my friend's name being mentioned.