fifteen. i forgot that you existed

Start from the beginning

"Can you stay with me tonight?" asked Mackenzie as she drove away from the hospital.

Alex rested his hand on her thigh, comforting her. "Anything you want."

"Thank you," she whispered. "I'm sorry we didn't have an actual date. That whole thing just threw me off."

"It's no problem, but I must ask. You told me some parts of New York and I remember you mentioning Addison. So, that was her?" he asked.

She nodded. "Yep."

"And you knew Derek was married to her when he started seeing Meredith?"

Mackenzie gripped the steering wheel, guilt flooding through her. "Yes. I know, I'm a horrible person. But you have to understand that Derek seemed completely done with her. She cheated on him with his best friend - my brother - so he left her in New York and came to start a new life here. I wanted to tell her when I found out they were a thing, but Derek promised me not to. If I told Meredith in the beginning, she would've freaked out and not listened to Derek. It was going to come out eventually, but Derek seemed really happy and I haven't seen him smile like that in a while."

Alex nodded, processing the information. "I mean, I see your side, but I also see Meredith's. I think she's more mad at Derek though. I would definitely talk to her about everything to clear it up."

Mackenzie pulled into the driveway and luckily, no one was home. As she walked up to the front door, searching for her car keys, a hand gripped her's a spun her around. She landed right into Alex's chest.

He had a smug smirk on his face. "I need to do just one thing before we go in."

"And that is..."

Mackenzie almost forgot what breathing was like when Alex leaned down and pressed his lips against her's. Her mind flashed with memories from them in college; from their first meeting to their first kiss, everything felt so pure.

Alex's hands trailed down to her waist and he backed her up against the wall. Mackenzie pulled him closer with his neck, trying to savor up this moment.

She didn't believe she could love a man this much, but she did. Alex could be her one epic true love if they figured everything out this time around. Of course, there were some commitment doubts in the back of her mind. What if he was still against marriage? She still wanted a ring on her finger and two children at the end of the day. What if he didn't?

Mackenzie forced the negative thoughts out of her head and pulled out her house key. She pulled away for just a split second and unlocked the door. She pulled Alex through.

"You're out before everyone else wakes up. Do not talk to George. And don't devour our food if you want some on the way out. Go in my car and I'll be there to drive you to work. Got it?"

Alex smiled. "You got it."

He picked her up and kicked the front door closed behind him. Mackenzie giggled as he rushed up the stairs with her and into her room.

He set her down on the bed, taking off his shirt. Mackenzie did the same. She hasn't done this part in forever and she hoped she still looked ideal to him. A moment of insecurity took over and her arms covered her chest.