Chapter 1

¦Chapter 1¦

+++

In the park, a girl with vibrant (H/c) hair looked blankly towards the sky on top the bridge just over the little pond. Her mind was elsewhere as she watched the clouds pass by, the bread she was using to feed the ducks forgotten in her little daze.

"You seem out of it today," a voice snapped her out of her daze, taking the piece of break in her hands, feeding the ducks with it in her place.

"Nii-san," she addressed, "I don't know why, but I just feel out of it today."

"Maybe you're nervous about moving to a new city," he suggested.

"Maybe," she agreed. "I've spent the past 15 years in this place. It seems a bit sad to just move."

"Well, you can't do anything about that. Dad just got promoted so he's being relocated." Hiro sighed, crumbling the remaining bread before tossing it to the ducks. "Or so we're led to believe."

"'Led to believe'?" (Y/n) echoed her older brother's words. "Are you saying dad lied?"

"Well, no," Hiro immediately replied. "It's just—it's nothing really. It's nothing you need to worry about."

"Telling me not to worry only makes me worry more, Hiro-nii-san."

"We'll find out the truth soon enough," he told her. "So let's just wait and see what happens."

"By saying 'we', are you implying you don't even know what you're accusing mom and dad about?" She raised a brow, perplexed by her brother's actions.

"I know there's most likely another reason we're moving aside from dad's promotion," he shrugged, "but yeah, I guess you can say that."

"So, you know basically nothing?"

"Pretty much." He nodded. "It's just a gut feeling."

"Well, hopefully it isn't anything bad."

"Hopefully," he said, crumbling the rest of the bread into little bite sized pieces before violently throwing it at the ducks.

Not that the soft bread attack seemed to have done any damage to the ducks. Instead, they just swam towards the pieces of floating bread and ate it happily.

"Let's go get some coffee," (Y/n) suggested, "from the place just across the street."

"A farewell drink does sound good," he agreed and the two set off to the shop across the park.

"Of course, you're paying, nii-san."

"Hey!"

•••

(Y/n) settled in her new environment faster than she thought she would. She had to admit, moving didn't seem so bad now that she had adjusted.

Though if there was one thing she would complain about, it was her lack of items.

The boxes containing all her books, trinkets, things, and mementos was currently inside the moving truck that had yet to arrive. Heck, even her bed had yet to arrive so she was sleeping on the floor using a comforter as a make shift bed.