Part 6

Siddharth couldn't believe he said that. He looked at Divya who stood frozen before him. He couldn't meet her eyes which already started flowing. A sharp pain formed in his chest as it was stabbed by a strong weapon. His eyes were moistened. Siddharth watched Divya slowly retreating back. She didn't utter a single word. But he knew she was devastated.

Siddharth never thought they would come so close like this. He was scared of what would happen next. All these days their secret was safe within themselves. But now he felt like it was exposed. He didn't want to think about their future. It was too scary for him. Siddharth accepted himself as a coward running away from love. He felt guilty for saying the things which he never meant to. But his mind overplayed heart. He thought he shouldn't mislead Divya anymore and it would be the best choice for them.

On the other side, Divya was heartbroken. When Siddharth said he wanted to say something, Divya assumed he was going to confess his love. How wrong was she! Divya never thought he would say something like that. He crushed her love story even before it could begin. Feeling dejected, she walked away from him without saying a word. Divya didn't know how to respond to that. She could have understood if he said he didn't love her. But he didn't. The reason behind his rejection was purely inferiority conscious. Divya wasn't stupid to understand his inner battle. She never made him feel that way. Always treated with love and respect. Maybe her family wasn't that much considerate. If she was willing to take risks, why can't he? Divya even doubted whether he knew her real feelings or was he thinking that she was some rich brat having a stupid infatuation that would get over in time being. That mere thought angered her. Somewhere in her heart, she knew, Siddharth liked her. But he would never admit that.

Divya reached her room to find her cousins sleeping peacefully. She felt like crying aloud.

Rejection, pain, embarrassment everything made her miserable. She couldn't sleep a bit on that rainy night...

****

Everyone was in a happy mood while returning except two people. Unfortunately, Divya and Siddharth had to travel together this time, since others exchanged their cars. Siddharth glanced at her several times to make sure she was okay. Divya didn't even look at him once throughout the journey. Siddharth got hurt at that. The girl who used to smile at him every now and then was not even looking at his face.

Divya, When will your course get over?

Mrs. Janaki, Keerthi's mother asked.

2 more years to go aunty... You know it's a five-year degree. Divya said

What's your plan after that?

I want to work for 2 years then I will do my master's.

What about your marriage plans then? Janaki asked curiously.

Divya didn't know what to say. Suddenly her eyes locked with Siddharth who was gazing at through the mirror. Even he was curious about her reply.

Sreedevi, you should start searching for alliances from now onwards for Divya. After Shwetha it's Divya's and Keerthi's turn.

We'll think about it, Janaki. Anyway, tell me if you find any suitable matches.

Sreedevi smiled at Janaki and said. Divya glared at her mother. 

Good... You know our neighbor's son Nikhil he is also an architect and runs a famous architecture firm in Delhi.

Divya couldn't believe what's happening. Just yesterday, she suffered heartbreak, and today she was hearing about alliances. Divya knew why Janaki aunty was suddenly interested in Divya's future. Her daughter, Keerthi's path would be cleared only after Divya. Before Sreedevi could say something, the car was halted with a sudden break. 

We reached home. 

Siddharth said. Divya watched the annoyingly look at his face. Soon everyone started dispersing. She couldn't help but smile a little seeing how nervous and irritated he was during the whole conversation inside the car. Maybe she should talk to him once again... Divya joined with her exhausted cousins and went inside. Siddharth also started walking towards his home with a heavy heart.

***********

Again Divya became alone when her cousins left. Loneliness was something that she hated the most. After the trip, she hadn't seen Siddharth. He would come, only if her grandfather or father had to travel. She had only one week left for college reopening. After that, she would be gone again for another six months. As much as she was angry at Siddharth, she longed to see him. 

It was the day of the festival at the temple nearby. Divya's grandmother had a special pooja (prayer) there for which  Divya happily tagged along. It was always delightful during festival seasons. Divya got ready in a traditional saree and looked absolutely beautiful. 

The temple premise was surrounded by a huge crowd. The crowd reminded her of beautiful childhood memories. Divya was constantly searching for Siddharth in the crowd and spotted him in a group. It was his childhood gang. He was also in his traditional attire and talking to this friends with laughter. His laughter made her smile.

After the pooja, her grandma decided to watch the Kathakali performance( an art form )which was happening on the nearby stage. Divya didn't know anything about it and instantly got bored. She tried to concentrate but she couldn't. Somehow she excused herself and came off the crowd.

Was it too boring? 

She startled at the voice.

Divya turned around to find Siddharth standing in front of her.

Not.. exactly... It's just that I didn't understand the story...Divya said.

Its Nalacharitham.

Siddharth said looking at the performance from sideways. 

Oh... I know that one. it's the love story of Nalan and Damayanti with swan and all right? I ( Nalan and Damayanti are the main characters of the story)

Divya said, trying to remember the synopsis.

Yes... It's kind of a tragic story. Siddharth said

But at least it got a happy ending. Divya said looking directly at Siddharth.

After all, they're just stories...in real life, it's nothing like that...Siddharth gritted and looked away.

I don't want to argue with you Siddharth. Maybe you are right, life won't give you the things that you deeply desire. Otherwise, everyone would have their own happy ending...

Divya smiled sadly. Siddharth simply stared at her. She was looking breathtakingly gorgeous in saree. He wished to say she looked beautiful in that. He could see all the men gawking at her despite the place, including his friends. He wanted to scream She is mine. Nothing happened as he coldly stood there. 

Go home Divya, your grandmother is out there, looking for you.

Divya sighed and turned around.

A happy ending with him, seemed like a mere dream for her.