Chapter 12

Jennie tries to keep up with everything that Lisa's saying about her trainees, but if she were being honest, she's had trouble concentrating ever since Lisa dared to be fearless in the museum. There was no one to witness the moment, but Jennie's body remembers it in vivid clarity. Her spine is rigid from when Lisa recklessly pressed her body against hers. The shell of her ear tingles from the sound of Lisa's measured breathing and the feeling of her teeth sinking gently into her skin. Her heartbeat stutters in her chest, unused and helpless to the memory of Lisa's casual desire.

Jennie might have lied when she said she could handle more.

"Jen?" Lisa's voice draws her out of her thoughts.

They're in an ice cream parlor at Lisa's insistence, apparently aware of Jennie's tendency to have ice cream especially when the weather's freezing. She had agreed in a daze, her thoughts elsewhere.

She gives Lisa a sheepish smile and prays that she doesn't notice how she's still trying to survive the aftershocks of that moment. "Sorry."

"Are you tired?" Lisa asks worriedly, always concerned about her well-being above all else.

She shakes her head, not really knowing how to tell her that she hasn't felt as alive as she does now.

"What is it then? Am I boring you? Have I been talking too much?"

Jennie puts a stop to Lisa's rapid-fire questions by placing a hand on her thigh, making sure that the movement is under the table. The parlor isn't as crowded as it could be at any other time of the day, but there are employees roaming around and cleaning up and Jennie thinks that they've tempted fate enough for today.

"Calm down," Jennie says, trying to keep her voice under control because her entire body is hypersensitive to Lisa right now, and if she's not careful, then she might just lose control. "It's just me, Lili. You know I'm always happy to hear what you've been doing. I'm sorry I spaced out for a moment there."

Lisa relaxes. "It's okay. What were you thinking about?"

Jennie opens her mouth to respond, but the words die in her throat when Lisa brings the ice cream to her mouth, licking at her treat leisurely, completely oblivious to the effect she has on her. Distantly, she wonders how Lisa managed to hide her feelings for years because right now, Jennie can't seem to get ahold of herself long enough to participate in a conversation.

"Nini," Lisa laughs, nudging her slightly. "Seriously, what are you thinking about?"

Jennie tries to think of a response that won't end in her own embarrassment but comes up with nothing. She sighs, palms her face, and fiddles with her teaspoon.

"I was thinking," Jennie cringes and almost doesn't recognize the sound of her own voice. She clears her throat in a useless attempt to restart, tucking a lock of her hair behind her ear. Her only consolation comes when Lisa follows the motion, her gaze lingering, momentarily distracted. It makes her smile.

"I was wondering if I could stay with you?"

Lisa's brow furrows. "In my apartment, you mean?"

Jennie hums an affirmative.

"I mean, if I ever say no to that, please hit me with a stick," Lisa jokes despite her confusion. "But you're heading out tomorrow, right? Have you packed?"

"I think that's a question I should be asking you," she teases.

Lisa shrugs. "I have, like, five days to pack. There's no rush."

"Considering how much you hate doing it, you might as well start now," Jennie chuckles. "I was thinking maybe we could go by the dorm and pick up my stuff," Jennie can't help the blush that she feels creeping up her cheeks. "I'd like to spend more time with you if that's okay?"