Chapter 6

Lisa doesn't really know how she's still standing.

After they managed to pull away from each other in the dance studio, Jennie unwillingly reminded her that their manager was waiting for them. She was almost tempted to tell her that their manager can probably use an extra hour of sleep, but she knew they couldn't stay in the dance studio forever. She can already hear the scuffing of shoes outside the door so she nodded at Jennie before tugging her up with her.

Jennie was quiet as she waited for her to slip her jacket on and pick up her gym bag from the floor. Lisa can almost hear her thinking but she kept silent, knowing that Jennie needed to process what transpired. She deliberately moved sluggishly, trying to give Jennie as much time as possible before they had to surrender the room to the next booking. When she was left with nothing else to do, she approached her slowly, taking her hand and holding it loosely, letting Jennie decide if she wanted to pull away. She needn't have worried though because the moment her fingers settled against her palm, Jennie weaved their fingers together.

She really couldn't be blamed for the beaming smile she knows is stretched across her face. Jennie blushes even as she answers her elation with a shy smile of her own.

"Oh my God," Lisa breathes. "This is bad for my heart. I'm going to die from a heart attack."

Jennie laughs, loud and full, and it fills Lisa's entire being with warmth. Jennie lifts her unoccupied hand and rests it on her chest, eyes shining with something like wonder as she feels the hard and fast rhythm that's setting Lisa's body on fire.

"Jen, you're not helping," Lisa jokes, relieved that Jennie now knows what she does to her. "You're literally going to kill me."

"Calm down, Li," Jennie answers, hand still on her chest, a teasing smile painted on her face.

"Kind of impossible, Ni."

"Want me to pull away?"

The fingers curled around hers loosen slightly, and Lisa grasps, unwilling to let her go just yet, her other hand coming up to press Jennie's harder against her chest as if offering her heart. Take it, she stomps the words down her throat because old habits die hard, it's yours anyway. Instead, she steps forward, prompting Jennie to look up, before dropping a light kiss on her forehead. She moves back just as quickly, swallows at the sight of Jennie's closed eyes, and lets the hand on her chest go. It stays where it is, and for the first time, Lisa hopes Jennie understands what her heart is trying to say in uneven beats and those it skips altogether.

"Let's go?" Lisa says, emotion clogging up her throat, suddenly shy and looking away just as Jennie opens her eyes.

"Let's."

The car ride home is quiet, but Jennie keeps her hand in hers like she knows Lisa needs the contact just to convince herself that she didn't dream the last couple of hours. Every once in a while, Jennie would rub her thumb against her index finger, making her lose her train of thought. By the third time it happens, Lisa decides she needs to process what happened. Otherwise, she might just lose her mind.

"I need to go to the rooftop," Lisa tells her as soon as they step into the elevator of their dorm, pressing the button for the topmost floor and the one for their floor.

Jennie peers at her. "Everything alright?"

She hums an affirmative. "Just need to process."

Jennie doesn't question it, fully aware of what rooftops mean to her and perhaps needing more time to process too. Lisa is glad she understands but hates the fact that she's going to have to let her go. She pouts when the elevator stops at their floor.