Chp 7 - The System Always Fails Someone

"I hid Yui's on the roof... and you left yours in the classroom" Kanato wedged the bags between Yui and Elliot, hoping the bags would stay there for the time being. Elliot nodded as a thank you and in a flash, Kanato was gone again.

~

Elliot's feet hit the concrete with a hard thud, Yui still hoisted on his back as she drifted to and from consciousness. She was taking her time waking up. Elliot had snuck past the rest of the Sakamaki brothers at school and made his way into town. It was a peaceful night and Elliot didn't think Yui was in any state to go back to the mansion. 

Elliot made his way down the street, squinting his eyes as lights blinked on and off. How was this place so bright amongst the darkness of the night? How was it so alive and so active when there was not a single being around?

A payphone appeared in Elliot's path. What an odd thing to come across after Yui's efforts to find one. He tried to walk past it, ignore it. Do anything but try and get answers for a question he could care less for, but the guilt welled with each step he took. He grumbled, crouching next to the payphone and easing Yui off his back gently. He let her lean against the payphone, slightly adjusting her with her shoulders to make sure she wouldn't just slip and fall. A breeze flew through the street, Yui's features scrunched as the cold air hit her skin. It looked like she was still somewhat knocked out.

Elliot took off his school jacket, laying it across Yui to act as a blanket. Sometimes not being as human as Elliot would have liked to have been can pay off. The cold air of the night didn't bother him the way it did Yui.

With a sigh, Elliot stood up, dialling the only phone number he ever memorised on the payphone. It rang. He held his breath, anxiety building from the bottom of his stomach.

"Hello?" A rough croaky voice answered the phone, A voice that brought so much pain and comfort to Elliot.

Elliot inhaled sharply, a feeling of doom and at the same time, warmth and safety washed over him. 

"Father..." Elliot's voice shook, he wanted to run away from the phone, but he had to stay. For Yui.

"Elliot?.." Seiji Komori's voice broke through the silence. He sounded shocked, scared, and relieved all at the same time.

"Elliot, how are you calling me? I thought you would be dead by now?" Seiji spoke again, he began to panic.

"Dead?..." Elliot's chest squeezed, what did he mean dead?

"Has - happened yet? - Awakening -" Seiji spoke but it cut in and out, it was although the world didn't want Elliot to hear what he had to say.

"You're making no sense Father... Why did you send us here? send Yui here? it makes no sense!" Elliot's knuckles whitened as he gripped the cold phone. His questions were met with static and then silence. He frowned, Why was he always left out of the loop?!

"No sense you say?" A new voice spoke, it was crystal clear through the phone. "That's hardly the case".

"Laito?" Elliot lifted the receiver from his ear and looked down at it quizzically. A soft chuckled echoed from across the street. Elliot looked up and his gaze met Laito's as the fedora-wearing vampire lowered a cell phone from his ear.

Elliot hung up the phone and looked at Yui with a debating look. Should he run? He wouldn't be able to get far with Yui but he couldn't leave her either.

"Did you enjoy your short-lived freedom?" Laito appeared behind Elliot, his hands on the smaller males shoulder as he whispered in his ear. Elliot twisted and moved his shoulder in an effort to get Laito off him.