Wilbur laughs. "Math is so easy!"

"Shut up!"

I throw a pillow at him and groan when he catches it easily. Will places the pillow behind him and leans against it as he questions me further.

"Are the kids at school nice? Teachers?"

I nod. "Everyone's pretty chill"

"Cool," Will smiles. "Any special friends?"

I shrug and look down at the carpet. It belonged to grandma, but when she passed, mum moved it into our cottage. It's deep red with velvet sketchings in it. Fun to step on with socks.

"No one other than Charlie, "I say again, yawning as the day starts to catch up with me. "He's in Brighton though"

Wilbur chuckles and turns the lamp off, standing up from the sofa. He offers me his hand.

"Let's go to bed. It's late"

***

The next morning brings Wednesday along and the sound of the birds chirping yet again. 

I wake up, shower, get dressed, brush my teeth and brush my hair. I apply eyeliner, lashes and some nude lipstick. I don't usually wear lots of makeup, only for special occasions. 

***

7:24 am

***

I walk downstairs and into the kitchen. As per usual, the kitchen is empty and a note taped to the cereal box catches my eye. I pour cereal as I read the note. 

Had to go to the hospital earlier today. I'll be home quite late, but Will's there to take care of you if you need anything. Have a good day, darling! xx

I smile. Mum always leaves the cutest notes before she leaves to work at the hospital. I love her so much. 

I smile as I eat my cereal, scrolling through memes on Instagram. Today's a pretty good day. I only have a few classes at school and then I can come home again. 

***

School

***

I walk down the small narrow corridors of the local school and enter my English lesson. English is my favourite subject so I'm glad it's my last period class. 

"Everyone get their books out and read to page sixty-six, please. We will then be analyzing this passage and thinking about what themes are evident..."

Ms Glaston's voice fades away as I focus on a small squirrel chewing on what appears to be a slice of white bread outside the window. I smile when it suddenly throws the bread down and scurries away in a hurry. Squirrels are cute. 

I select a pencil from my pencil case and start to sketch the squirrel. I add pencil strokes to mimic texture and fur and draw the eyes extra big and round. I draw a long bushy tail and the little fingers tightly wrapped around the piece of bread. The drawing looks pretty cute.

"Aww, that's adorable!"

I look up and see Ms Glaston hovering above my drawing. A big smile stretches across her face and she nods in approval before walking to the next desk. 

***

The final bell rings and I pack up my stuff, already yawning. I only have a few classes a day, but they are long and tiring too. 

I shrug my bag over my shoulder, say goodbye to Ms Glaston and exit the oak door. I make my way outside and start the walk home, putting on my headphones as the dirt path stretches out in front of me.