Chapter One

"Noblewoman Odalia Blight missing from her manor Tuesday morning. More information is being released by authorities as we-"

Eda turned the crystal ball off.
"I've always hated the news."

"Edalyn, this is serious. Any minute now we could become prime suspects!" Lillith gasped.

"Can we worry about that after lunch?" Edric passed Lillith a sandwich.

Luz nodded in agreement, at least two sandwiches crammed into her mouth.

Alador looked up from his reading.
"If the situation continues to escalate, it may be time to visit some properties on the Titan's Hip."

"I most certainly agree, but I'd hate to let you leave before Emira has entirely healed."

Amity and Edric went rigid. Since Emira's mind-hex scare, their sister was a sensitive subject.

"Speaking of-" Amity stood from the table. "I should really go check on her."

Edric worriedly set his hand on her shoulder.
"Amity-"

"Let her go." Alador encouraged.

Amity crept away from the room. She hated how everyone had started talking about her big sister. Like she was different now, like she wasn't the Emira she'd always been.

She slid down the portal to her room.

"Em? We're all having breakfast. Are you hungry?"

Emira nodded tiredly.

"Okay. I'll bring you something." As the young witch turned to leave, Emira's breathing quickened.

"No. No. Amity, stay. Amity please."

Amity hurried to her sister's side.  "It's okay. I was just-"

"Please don't go." Emira whispered desperately.

"Fine. Luz!" Amity yelled up the portal.

"Yeah?"

"Lower some breakfast down please!"

"Coming right up!"
Luz set a plate and cup of orange juice in her pulley system, lowering it through the portal.

Emira watched the process with curiosity.
"You get room service? Lucky you, Amity." Emira chuckled.

Amity smiled, taking the breakfast tray as it fell within reach.

"I'm so glad you like it, Em."

Luz , after a night of trying, finally drew a functioning water glyph.

Unfortunately, she had no idea how to shut it off. Eda had used towels, boots, multiple cups and even a crockpot. Nothing worked.

"Well, we're screwed."

"I'm so sorry Eda." Luz apologized.

Eda revealed a roll of duct-tape from her hair. Securing a few strips over the glyph, the water stopped.

"See? Problem solved."

"Are you sure it'll work?"

"Sure it will!" Eda insisted.

"Because now it-"

"Do you wanna sit here and nitpick or go to school?"

"School!" Luz jumped for her bag.

"Yeah, that's what I thought."