twentytwo - loving you

the art of loving you

- - -

After a moderately good writing session, Sacha had disappeared into his bedroom while I mused over our first drafts. Some of the lyrics needed a little tweaking but I couldn't push myself into changing them without consoling with Kareem and Sacha first.

My little brother had decided that arranging another concert was more important to him than developing his demo, with the claim that getting record's attention would be easier with a growing fan base. I couldn't fault his mindset but I still acknowledged that developing Bodhi's Youtube Channel would help with wider exposure than a small gig.

Halfway between drafting a new bridge for an alternate song, my front door opened and Kezziah strolled in.

I raised my eyebrows but internally cheered at the fact she felt comfortable enough to just walk in like Hendrix and Jem tended to do. Kezziah had been coming over a lot since Zepp died, as Kareem had practically moved in. Both the dogs were alternated between my apartment and Hendrix's, given the fact we couldn't just leave them in Kaz's home alone.

A part of me still felt like I needed to develop a stronger relationship with Kezz, similar to Kareem's with Sacha, and I'd been trying. It was safe to admit that she was a hard person to try and get close to, her trust issues obviously stemming from something a lot more serious than a High School breakup.

Despite the slight tension, I'd grown to adore Kezziah just as much as I did my other friends. She was smart and scrappy and could school Sacha without even hesitating. She'd become a part of our little family, attending game nights and visiting the bakery during her spare time. She was one of us, so much that I could barely remember a time before both her and Kareem were in our lives.

"Hey bitch."

"You should respect your elders, kid."

Kezziah rolled her eyes at me before throwing herself on the stool facing me. "Maybe I'll start respecting my elders when you can grow a beard."

This caused a chuckle to escape.

"Fair enough." I allowed her, laughing to myself. She shuffled, looking slightly uncomfortable. It was almost weird to see her so cautious, as from the moment I met the kid she oozed confidence like it was her second skin. "Kezz, what's up?"

"Where's Kareem?"

"He had an appointment at the VA." I informed her, putting down my pen. "Just a check-up with his leg."

"Sacha?"

"Think he's in his bedroom but he might have sneaked out."

She nodded, eyes avoiding mine as she fidgeted with her fingers. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course." I answered seriously. My eyebrows furrowed at her obvious nervousness. I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable around me, regardless of what she needed to say.

"Kaz's birthday's coming up....and I wanted to ask him to adopt me."

The raw, undiluted happiness that consumed me at her words left me breathless. My lips tugged up automatically and I felt my eyes threaten to water at the storm of emotions coursing through me.

He's going to sob. God. Kezziah means the entire world to him and, after these past few weeks, this would give him the hope he was desperately clinging to.

"That's amazing, kid. Wow, he's going to cry." I let out in a raspy voice, knowing this was something that meant so much to her and would mean even more to him.