52. Knight's Gambit

Start from the beginning

"First Marco McHunknuts, now a divine being with magic fingers," I sulked theatrically, "how do you expect me to compete?"

She grinned a bit less innocently, "The intense orgasms work in your favor."

"So, I'm just a cheap sex toy to you?"

"You're not cheap," she quipped, returning to form. "This body is basically your property at this point."

"Katherine, I..."

She put a finger against my lips, "It doesn't matter. The most important parts have always been yours." I hugged her, and because I needed some way to cover the emotion in my voice, I told her she was being corny. She informed me that I loved her anyway.

Katherine's cottage wasn't big enough to hold both our wardrobes and I didn't feel right taking one of the vacant rooms just for its closet space, so I'd been keeping my clothes in the steamer trunk the Fae had left in the old office. After breakfast, I went upstairs and stuffed enough into a duffel to last two nights while the rest of them rushed around for another hour despite having packed the night before. Technically, it was Katherine's anxiety, but Rachel and Becca were both swept away by her zeal. In the end, they had five bags between them, and I endured a lecture on the need for proper luggage if we were going to be traveling again soon. Or ever.

I had expected Becca to bring all the artifacts with her, but after checking with Amy that they'd be safe, she selected the scrying bowl and the hagstone and left the rest behind. Once the Jeep was packed, we sat down for a late breakfast and had just finished cleaning up when Finn's microbus pulled in.

"You ready for your adventure?" the redheaded Fae asked, hopping to the floor. "You've got twenty minutes before a dozen trucks are parked on your doorstep."

Rachel sauntered over, welcoming her with a wave. "All loaded up, fox lady."

"Kitsune," Becca corrected.

"Whatever. You got our list?"

"I did," Finn nodded, "whose idea was it to ask for two tennis courts?" I laughed in spite of myself. Becca must have said something. "Well, I think you know you won't get everything, but we managed to put together a plan that I think you'll be happy with."

I quickly made my way to the Jeep, hoping to avoid Finn while she was occupied, but she stepped in front of me and stared until I acknowledged her presence. "What?"

"I want to talk to you before you leave."

"About?"

"Tom," she shot me the condescending look of a mother trying to be patient, "I know you're not my biggest fan, but this is important. I won't keep you long. I gave you my time when you asked, didn't I?"

I sighed in resignation and motioned for her to take the lead. She stopped in the kitchen and took a seat, far enough away from the others that we wouldn't be overheard.

"You're aware I don't bite, right?" she said, clearly amused that I was keeping a formal distance between us.

"Not really, no."

"You're not still mad about the wisp, are you? Or was it the contract?"

I didn't answer, hoping she'd get to the point, but she sat patiently, swinging her legs like a schoolgirl, waiting for a reply. "Look," I said, "I'm not mad at you, just cautious. I appreciate the work you and your team are doing here, but I don't get it. Amy said it was to help us deal with stress. I can't accept that. It's too extreme. Now you're doing more, and I still don't understand your motives."

"You're concerned that I have a hidden agenda?"

"I'm pretty sure you do. It used to bother me how manipulative Miss Gold could be, but I'm starting to think she's an amateur compared to you."