Chapter 10

Time flowed away from me at Rigby. I successfully dodged Joey by avoiding the apartment, which meant I was in Jacob's arms when I was not at work.

"I have something for you," Jacob unceremoniously spoke before dipping his face to kiss the crown of my head.

"For me?" I lifted my gaze to meet his.

"Well, part of it is for you; part is for me." As he spoke, he pulled a glass bottle of Coke from his nightstand.

"Jacob, for me; you shouldn't have?" I twisted the cap off as I spoke and took a long sip.

"Remind me to discuss your sugar consumption with you."

"It is what makes me so sweet."

"Of course, and the caffeine?" He pressed.

"Within this little bottle is one of the greatest things humanity ever created." As I spoke, I theatrically held the bottle before me.

"Really? In the same realm as the lightbulb and penicillin?"

"Far better. You can drink a Coke while dying in the dark, which tastes just as good as when living in the light. I firmly believe that if world leaders bought each other a Coke, there would be far less war."

"Really?" Jacob said, shaking his head at my insanity.

"What is the jingle? I want to buy the world a Coke," I sang.

"Well, it's good to have goals." Jacob nodded with a playful smile.

"What are your goals?"

"Short term, to make it through the day," he absently spoke as he tucked a tendril of hair behind my ear.

"And long term?"

"Make it through the year." Jacob shrugged.

"Good talk, Jacob," I sarcastically said as I rolled onto my back and gazed up at the ceiling.

"Alright, wise one, teach me the ways of Coca-Cola."

"When was the last time you just had a Coke with nothing in it?"

Jacob thought for a moment. "I think it must have been about five years ago."

"You haven't had a Coke in five years! No wonder you are so cranky."

"Cranky?" He said in surprise.

"Jacob, you know you are cranky."

"I think I am a delight," he evenly said. "Would you still think I was cranky if I bought you a Coke daily?"

"I have made you privy to my weakness already. Some girls are suckers for diamonds or chocolate; for me, it is Cokes." I curled into his side as his arms wrapped around me. I reached over him and picked up my Coke from the nightstand. With a roll of his eyes, he took the bottle from me and took a swig.

He set it down and laid back. "Not bad," he agreed after a moment.

"You could make the switch from scotch," I hopefully said.

"We shall see," he sighed. "Now, the second present. Remember, it was a Coke for you and peace of mind for me," he said, as though he were baiting me to defy him.

"Peace of mind?"

He lifted a car key from his nightstand drawer and looked at me, expecting the response.

"I accept the Coke," I defiantly said.

"You accept the Coke," he said back to me.

"I accept the Coke," I said again.