Chapter 8

Jacob and I comfortably settled on the couch. I knew there were people around us, many people around us, but sitting next to him made the moment feel small and slow. Despite his gaze on the stage, I had his attention. I allowed my eyes to linger on Joey, inspecting him for the bristle from my hand entwining with Jacob's, but the anger didn't surge. Joey's eyes softly landed on our hands as his shoulders rose and fell with the weight of a sigh. He lifted his eyes to meet mine and gave me a weak smile before they again fell to the base of his microphone stand. It was a broken moment that let the wish of falling for Joey die within me. A slight shudder soared through me in its wake, causing my hand to twitch in Jacob's. I was uncertain if he even felt it and let my face turn to him to gauge any reaction. He had felt it, and he also tipped his face to me. We hovered there, our faces inches from each other, so close I could feel his hair tickle my forehead.

I froze in his regard. He stared at me so completely that I felt naked before him. Then, he raised our clasped hands and pressed the back of my hand to his lips. The sensation his kiss left burned into my skin long after our eyes returned to the stage. My gaze was on the boys, but I didn't see or hear them. A ringing filled my ears and vibrated through my entire body. I might not have noticed the music was over if Jacob hadn't pulled me up to his side after the set.

"That was great." I smiled, failing in my attempt to mask my distraction.

The boys chatted amongst themselves, but Joey gave a nod of acknowledgment to my compliment.

"I'm going to head out," Joey said in a low tone that barely made it through the crowd.

"What? We can't leave." Matt's eyes grew wide.

"You can stay. I have a headache." Joey shrugged. "We've established that Ubers can get here." His eyes flickered at me with a hint of an apology.

"Come on, stay," Matt complained.

"It's cool; I'll catch you both at home." Joey didn't wait for Matt's response. He swiftly headed to the door.

Jacob witnessed the moment. He squeezed my hand as he pulled me closer. "You should go," he murmured into my ear.

I turned my gaze to him. It was apparent from his response that he could sense I didn't want to leave his side. A soft, forgiving smile crossed Jacob's face as he tenderly placed a gentle kiss on my temple.

"I'll be in my room when you are finished saying goodbye. Go before you miss him."

My gaze lingered on him for a second more before chasing after Joey. I didn't need Jacob's permission, but catching Joey suddenly felt urgent with it. I burst through the door and took the stairs two at a time as I called out his name.

"Riley?" Joey was at the top of the stairs, eyes wide in panic. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," I managed before my lungs screamed for air. I panted as I laid a hand on Joey's shoulder to stabilize myself. "I thought I was going to miss you."

"I'm just going home, Riley. I'd have seen you later." He let a hand fall to my side to support me further.

"I just needed to..." my words dropped. I couldn't say it.

"Goodbye," he whispered.

I let my eyes meet him as the sadness course between us as a "yes" passed my lips.

"It was supposed to be us." The assertion came softly, not as bold as the sentiment warranted.

"I'm sorry." My gaze fell; it was too heavy to hold.

Joey let a finger lift my face to his again. "I love you."

Slowly, like the creep of sap rolling down a tree trunk, he leaned in and let his lips meet mine. It was soft and kind, just like Joey, but I also felt the tears. I thought they were his, but when I pulled away, I realized they had fallen from my eyes.