I think I can try this

*One week later*

**Carina's POV**

I told Maya that we need to go shopping, because she needs some other comfort item than me.

 We have been lucky enough to be on semi-matching shifts, but that's unrealistic for the long-term.

She has accepted being little, not happy with it, but accepting.

**1234567**

I feel Maya stir against me, we were watching disney channel and she fell asleep. She is splayed across me like a little octopus, sucking her thumb. 

I did order some pacifiers but I don't think she would react well.  Now is the perfect time for anger.

I somehow untangle myself from her and grab them from the drawer I grab the black one from the package and clean it off. 

Walking back over I contemplate how to do this. She is most definitely not going to like me taking her thumb out of her mouth, but how else am I supposed to do it?

I attempt to move her hand but she just keeps it there. She is strong, even while asleep! 

Great, now I need to wake her up.

"Maya"

She didn't even stir.

"Maya!"

Finally, she slowly wakes up

"Yeah?"

"Try this bambina, it's better than your thumb"

"...ok"

Wow. Easier than expected.

She puts it in her mouth and seems to like it. It's bobbing up and down in her cute little mouth.

She looks so peaceful now, since she's awake I figure now's a better time than any to go shopping. I probably can't carry her in the store, she won't let me do much when others might see us.

"Hey, you want to go to the store?"

*She nods excitedly

"Okay, come on let's get ready"

I pick her up and carry her over to the bed, after a bit of difficulty we have socks on.

I grab our jackets because the weather says it might rain, we take a long time to get shoes on, because laces are difficult.

"Do you want me to carry you to the car?"

"..."

after about thirty seconds of thinking she says

"no"

"Ok, bambina let's go" We leave slowly, and it's clear that she doesn't want to be walking. I also run back in to grab the pacifier so she can have it in the car.

After a little we're in the car.

"Want your pacifier?"

"Yes, please!" 

"ok," I reach over and pass it to her.

She just looks out the window the whole ride looking very peaceful.

*Ten minutes later*

"We're here bambina"

"Ok," she leaves the pacifier, and we walk in.

I grab the groceries and deny the many protests of not getting almonds. 

Maya is allergic to almonds. 

We discovered that because for some reason she had never tried them. She is continuously denying that she is allergic to them. Even when we reach the car.

"Maya, you are allergic to almonds."

"No i'm not." man, she is the most stubborn person I have met. I didn't think it could get worse when she was little.

"Maya, do you remember that time you tried almonds?"

"Yeah, they were good."

"Remember how we had to go to the hospital because you had an allergic reaction?"

"No, I'm not allergic." she persists.

"We are not getting almonds, because you are allergic Maya." 

"I AM NOT ALLERGIC TO ALMONDS!"

"YES YOU ARE!" 

At this point we're both yelling at each other in a parking lot, people are staring.

"...i'm not allergic" now this I can tell she's going to start crying.

"come on Maya, let's get into the car..."

I gently pull her into the backseat, and shut the door so people can't stare.

I pull her into my arms while she cries, half the time I don't know why she is crying. Probably because people were staring. 

"I'm sorry bambina"

"It's ok,"

"Everything will be ok"

**1234567**

I've calmed Maya down but we're still sitting in the back

"Come on, let's go. Still have one store to go."

I drive over to the last store, and guide her out of the car. 

**1234567**

She seems to be enjoying the store, we immediately go to where the stuffed animals are. 

We continue to walk through the aisle where Maya is touching everything. She just slowly goes to the dog section. 

She grabs a dalmation 

"This one"

That one.

Only while we're exiting do I realise that Maya selected what most people view as a fire dog.