Chapter 46

Virgil opened the stage door and then immediately doubled back on himself when he saw how many people were out there.

"No, no, no, no. Not gonna go out there." He muttered under his breath.

"Are you okay Virgil?" Virgil jumped and glared at whoever was talking to him. It was just Aaron.

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine."

"Really?" Aaron asked, sceptical.

Virgil nodded. "Mhm."

"Because you're messing a lot with your necklace and you're pretty pale."

Virgil looked down at his hand. He hadn't even realised he was fiddling with the charm on his necklace.

"What's wrong?"

"There's a lot of people out there." Virgil mumbled quietly. "And I'm scared to go out there with that many people."

Aaron held up a finger, as if to say 'wait a sec', and went over to the stage door. He opened it and peaked out.

"Yeah, that is a lot of people." Aaron looked back at Virgil. "What d'you want to try do to avoid the crowd?"

"Avoid the... Um, well I plan to stay here.... and that's it." Virgil said, twisting the flower on his necklace.

"Yeah, that's not gonna do."

"It does just fine for me."

"Does it though?" Aaron asked. "Look, the problem isn't going to go away if you just wait."

"I think it will because the problem is the people out there and they've got to go home at some point."

"So do you."

Virgil bit the inside of his lip and looked at the floor, then at Aaron, then at the floor again. He sighed.

"Fine. What's your genius plan that you clearly have if you aren't satisfied with mine?"

Aaron looked around the corridor, thinking. "Mkay, I've got something."

"Care to elaborate?"

"I think if you go out there with me and with your hood up, you should be able to get through without much trouble. No one really notices musicians when there's film actors and stuff working on the same show."

Virgil looked up from twisting his necklace. "You sure it's gonna work?"

"Pretty sure."

"That's not... exactly reassuring."

"Look, I don't know exactly who's out there but I'm guessing they're hoping more for Roman's autograph than yours or mine. As long as neither of us are near Roman, we should, possibly, be able to sneak by, maybe."

"You have no idea how crowds work, do you?"

"No I don't, I've never done a live show in my life."

Virgil sighed. "I guess it's worth a try." He pulled his hood up over his head. "I will kill you if this doesn't work."

"Not if they do first."

"Again, not reassuring."

"Sorry."

Virgil tilted his head slightly. "You're scared too, aren't you?"

Aaron laughed a little. The sound wasn't happy or light, just anxious "Is it that easy to guess?"

"Are you two okay?"

Both Aaron and Virgil jumped. It was just Roman.

"Yeah, we're fine." Virgil muttered.

"Then why are you stalling going outside?"

Virgil mumbled something that sounded like 'there's a lot of people out there'. He was too quiet to really hear anything.

Roman looked from Aaron to Virgil. "You two need help?"

"Kinda a lot, yeah."

"Right, um... if we all leave at the same time, they should be distracted by me being my awesome self," Virgil let out a quiet scoff, "thanks for the vote of confidence, Sunshine. Anyway, you two should be able to sneak around the back, maybe. You might meet a few people but it's better than a whole crowd, right?"

Virgil and Aaron looked at each other. "A few people... I can handle."

"Yeah, same with me."

Roman nodded. "Great. Well, good luck."

This is 563 words of pure Writer's Block and stalling and I hate it with all my being. You're welcome for the shit that is this chapter.
Bye,
Blaize