Chapter 15

"Spot!" I called out when I caught sight of the King of Brooklyn. He turned to me, his look sour.

"What're yous doing back in my terf? Bold move afta what happened today."

"That's what we came to talk to you 'bout."

"Yous better have a good reason. It was more than embarrassing for Brooklyn."

"And what do you think it was for Manhattan?" He raised an eyebrow. "Listen Spot, what happened back there, wasn't supposed to happen. But things went wrong. Pulitzer threatened to have all of us Newsies thrown into the Refuge if Jack didn't speak out against the strike. After what happened to Crutchie, Jack couldn't take much more and he folded. Now I know that none of this matters to you, but we came to apologize and ask you to not give up on us yet. We're getting Jack back and when we do we're gonna win this thing." Spot was silent for a couple beats. I shared a glance with Specs.

"We won't fail ya this time, that's a promise we can keep," Specs said, determination flooding his words. 

"Please," Les begged, stepping up beside me. I smiled down at the boy before wrapping an arm around his shoulders.

"Strikes are messy, and usually never go the way you plan. Don't make promises." He turned to walk away. "But we'll be there," he said over his shoulder. 

"Thank you," I called to his retreating figure. I grinned at Les and Specs. "Now we just need Katherine to work her magic." (That was short and awkward ahah.)

I paced back and forth, my supply on patience dwindling very quickly.

"Caz, would you stop that already?" My brother complained. "You're making me nervous."

"I can't help it." He grunted before grabbing me by the shoulders to restrain me from walking any further. I rolled my eyes and snatched his cigar from between his lips. 

"Ugh, you're so annoying."

"Just trying to be like my favorite brother."

"Caz I'm you're only brother."

"You don't say?" I sassed. 

"Can we chill with the love fest guys?" Albert said walking up to the two of us and cutting Race off from whatever lame comeback he was attempting to come up with. I smiled at my best friend and he grinned back.

"Ya think Jack's done yet?" I asked.

"Seeing as he's not here yet, I'd say no." I rolled my eyes.

"You two are too sarcastic for your own good," Race grumbled, releasing me and slipping his cigar from my grasp. 

"Hey look, it's Andy!" I stated, pointing to the girl from midtown and waving dramatically. 

"The girl you sang with, right?" Albert asked.

"You've never met her?" I gasped. "C'mon, let's go meet her. She's super nice." I slid my arm through Albert's, ignoring the spark that ripped through me at the contact. I glanced back to see that Race hadn't moved from the spot he had been standing in. 

"Aren't you coming?" I questioned. He shrugged. 

"I've met her. Don't need to twice." I raised my eyebrow, sensing something was off, but decided to leave it for now. A crowded park was probably not the best place to talk to my brother about his life issues. 

"Alright, well, see ya. Andy!" I called. The girl's gaze snapped to me and she smiled.

"Hey Caz."