Chapter 10

Cassandra's P.O.V (we're back! Still no inspiration but I'm trying here okay)

Eight years earlier

"Ani," I whispered, shaking my brother. "Ani wake up." He let out a groan as he turned over to look at me.

"Cassy, what are you doing here?"

"Ani, I'm scared."

"Of what?" He asked pulling me onto the bed beside him.

"It's quiet."

"What da ya mean?"

"Listen," I whispered. The two of us held our breath and strained our ears.

"Where's Mother and Father?" I eventually asked.

"They're probably sleeping kid. You should be doing the same."

"No Ani," I pressed. "You don't get it. I checked their room. They're not here."

"What?" He exclaimed, panic crossing his face.

"I don't know where they are. Is that a bad thing?" He glanced down at me.

"Stay here Cassy okay?" He said rising from his bed.

"No! Don't leave Ani!" He placed his hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eye.

"Cassy, I'm just going to look around the house. I'm not going to leave ya. I'd never leave ya." After a moment more of looking into my frightened face, he slid his hand into mine and pulled me behind him.

We checked every room, we even stepped outside, but there was no sign of our parents. Ani eventually released my hand and walked over to their closet. Sliding the doors open, his whole body stilled.

"Ani? What's wrong?" He didn't reply as he leaned down and picked up a paper and a small pouch.

"Anthony and Cassandra: we have left you five dollars inside this bag. We are leaving New York and couldn't bare the expenses of bringing the two of you along. Do not try to find us. Signed, your parents." He crumpled up the paper and threw it across the room.

"Why'd they leave us?" I asked, my voice small. I felt a tear slip down my cheek, quickly followed by another. Ani came over and pulled me into a tight hug. He didn't answer.

"We'll find a job, maybe we can find you a place to stay. You could-"

"No Ani, I'm not leaving you."

"But Cassy, I'm your brother. I have to take care of you and if that means being separated-"

"Anthony Higgins you are one year older than me. I may be nine, but I know how to take care of myself. You are not leaving me. I won't allow it." He sighed.

"It was worth a shot."

"Are we gonna stay here?"

"No, we'll find a place. But we can leave in the morning. Let's go back to sleep."