Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

Even now, looking at Ronan, I know that his shirt, pants and shoes were extremely expensive. From the way they glistened to the way they were perfectly ironed, everything screamed nothing less than stinking rich. He also had a diamond ring on his finger and platinum chain on his neck. Was that a mate bond ring, by any chance? I didn't trust anyone who wore a ring. I knew better than that.

He was definitely from that pack. My bet based on Enzo's words was that he was an Alpha's son.

"How is Safia, Ronan?" Enzo asked causing Ronan to roll his eyes.

"If you're wondering if she still has a crush on you, brother, then yes. She does. She even made you a card with hearts and kissy faces and threatened to expose some of my secrets to our dad if I didn't give you her useless declaration letter. I'll give it to you later," Ronan winked and I watched a small smile creep onto Enzo's lips.

Who was this Safia? No more than a schoolgirl but still I wondered why Enzo smiled at her childishness.

"Still, I would have loved to meet your father before he left," Enzo said and Ronan got closer to him, slinging his arm over Enzo's shoulder. Enzo gave him a questioning look.

"Brother, you and I both know that in every family, there's always a disappointment child. The one parents wished never existed and can't help comparing to their other perfect little child or children. It's no secret that in my family that's me and in yours, it's you," Ronan taps on Enzo's chest at the same time Enzo's eyes fly to mine. My mouth nearly hangs open. What is this boy saying? Enzo, a disappointment? In what world is that even possible. He's perfect.

"Ronan!" Enzo scolds, his voice suddenly tensing up and sounding somewhat harsh. It reminds me of the feast of the full moon when he had used the same tone on Tinley. It had scared the life out of her. Everyone else that was in the foyer but far away suddenly fled as if this was a restricted zone.

"Calm down! We both know that I'm speaking the truth. Everyone does," Ronan moves away and shakes his head. "My point is that when all I am is a disappointment to my father because according to him, I'll never make a good Alpha. Not that I care or even want to be one. Something you could no doubt relate to once upon a time but since I am apparently a failure then why would he care enough to bid you hello after he bids me farewell and have you rub it in his face that his son with never be like you? Will never reform like you?"

Enzo's eyes never left mine. Was what Ronan said true? Did Enzo really never want to be Alpha?

"Enough, Ronan!" Enzo's tone was harsher now. Something that was hard for me to fathom from him. He was always gentle, calm but for some reason, he seemed to have completely lost his patience with this boy. I considered if I should leave but decided against it. Drama was good. It was entertaining and boy, this pack was so boring that I would take even scraps of it.

"The first thing you need to learn about being Alpha is how to bridle your tongue!" Enzo spoke with authority, his tone laced with annoyance. "Your father sent you to me so you could learn something. It's not a vacation, Ronan! You're here as an apprentice because your escapades have driven your father to the wall. This is a favour to him for everything he's done for me so please, don't make me regret agreeing to this,"

Ronan only lifted his hands in the air and let his mouth hang open, awed.

"What did I even say wrong? You're so different now brother, it breaks my heart," He pretends to sniff in a dramatic fashion but then his eyes catch mine. He doesn't shift his gaze but instead, he smiles at me boldly.

Enzo follows his gaze.

"You're hot!" He states, winking at me. His eyes scan my neck for a quick second before shamelessly travelling down my whole body. Pervert. "What's your name?"